Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Strange calls but not like the usual scams

Go to solution

Recently I have received a number of calls from what look like UK numbers, sometimes a single call, sometimes two.  If I answer. there is silence at the other end.  I close the call and Google the number.  

Today's number started 0191 - which I know is Newcastle.  When I enter the rest of the number there are lots of entries and mention of the Phillipines.

Yesterday - 01268 Basildon exchange but the complete number showed strange lettering.  I asked it to translate and it was Vietnamese.  Makes a change from Chinese!

I also have missed calls on my mobile.  Yesterday two from 0121 025 1331 which looks like Birmingham.  When I Google the whole number I see Vietnamese lettering again.

I have many examples.  Nobody speaks or leaves a message so nobody is trying to get access to my computer.  If I see a number that I fail to recognise I do not answer but I don't always remember to do that.   I am a bit spooked by the fact that my home phone and mobile have the same problem. 

Should I worry?  Is there a sensible answer for this? 

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Strange calls but not like the usual scams

Go to solution

@anniemacwrote:

Recently I have received a number of calls from what look like UK numbers, sometimes a single call, sometimes two.  If I answer. there is silence at the other end.  I close the call and Google the number.  

Today's number started 0191 - which I know is Newcastle.  When I enter the rest of the number there are lots of entries and mention of the Phillipines.

Yesterday - 01268 Basildon exchange but the complete number showed strange lettering.  I asked it to translate and it was Vietnamese.  Makes a change from Chinese!

I also have missed calls on my mobile.  Yesterday two from 0121 025 1331 which looks like Birmingham.  When I Google the whole number I see Vietnamese lettering again.

I have many examples.  Nobody speaks or leaves a message so nobody is trying to get access to my computer.  If I see a number that I fail to recognise I do not answer but I don't always remember to do that.   I am a bit spooked by the fact that my home phone and mobile have the same problem. 

Should I worry?  Is there a sensible answer for this? 

Hi @anniemac   I wouldn’t waste your time googling the numbers. They are all spoofed and not real numbers.

0 Ratings