cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frank_k
Message 1 of 11

Strange calls on the hour

Strange query which I'm hoping someone else may have 'suffered'. Since 6 o' clock last night my phone has rung every hour on the hour through the night and on to this morning. It only rings once. I don't have time to get to it until it stops. I have tried 1471 2-3 times with the same result - we do not have the callers number. This is no crank as they would not be so regimented. Same time -same length each time. The phone is working normally at other times both in and out. Not a great irritant -  its just like a grandfather clock striking on the hour -  but its a mystery.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Strange calls on the hour

Doe you have anything else, apart from the phone, connected to your phone line?

0 Ratings
frank_k
Message 3 of 11

yes broadband - working normally

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@frank_k wrote:

yes broadband - working normally

If you can predict when its going to happen, can you unplug everything else, and just leave only your phone plugged into your master socket. Then see if it still rings.

Do you pay BT for your phone calls and your broadband connection?

0 Ratings
frank_k
Message 5 of 11

Answer to your question is yes I do .

Next call is 'due' in about five minutes so I'll try what you recommend

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@frank_k wrote:

Answer to your question is yes I do .

Next call is 'due' in about five minutes so I'll try what you recommend

Let me know what happens, then we can decide what to do next.

0 Ratings
frank_k
Message 7 of 11

Dead on 10 o'clock there it goes again. . Did as you suggested. As I've said no major problem (so far) but certainly a mystery. Don't want to be calling BT with possible financial consequences if it is something simple. Unfortunately I have to go out shortly for the rest of the day so will have to put it to one side for the moment. Perhaps it might stop as quickly as it started. Then again pigs might fly !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

When you next get a moment, could you please run a line test at https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21&s_cid=con_FURL_faults

and see if there is a line fault. Thanks

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

When it says we do not have the callers number that would suggest the call has either come from abroad or has come from some type of switchboard, i.e. a large orgainisation that manages its own internal phone system, suh as a hospital.

It wouldn't be the BT line test facility because that if you did 1471 you would get the number of the last genuine call you had.

It might be worth reporting it to your service providers nuisance calls dept as they 'might' be able to trace it.

0 Ratings
frank_k
Message 10 of 11

Apologies to all who offered assistance. My Saturday away turned into a very long weekend through unfortunate circumstances and I was unable to get back to the problem. However my son was at home most of the time and monitored the situation. The calls continued until Monday and then over the next two days petered out to irregular intervals - sometimes 2-3 followed by a gap of 2-3 hours. However I am glad to report that they ceased altogether about 48 hours ago. May well remsain one of lifes unsolved mysteries. Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings