cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Strange dial out / dial in fault on landline

Go to solution

We are experiencing a strange fault on our landline. We can successfully dial calls to and receive calls from our neighbours but other calls fail.

With out-going calls (to other exchanges), there is a dialling tone but after dialling, the line goes dead. At the other end, the phone rings but the line is dead when picked up.

For incoming calls, the phone rings, displays the CLI (number) correctly but th eline is dead when the phone is picked up.

We first noticed this late on 17th April and follwed it up the next morning. The FTTC internet connection was (and is) OK. The online phone line checker gave no fault. Online chat resulted in a fault being raised which somehow was flagged as a broadband fault! A 4G mini hub was sent - useless for 2 reasons - no problem with broadband and no EE/BT 4G or 3G service available at our location! We were told the fault would be fixed by 6pm, 25/4/19.

I got an email on 25/4/19 saying that the fault had been fixed but of course it had not. A further online chat resulted in another fault reference number and a "promise" of an engineer's visit on 27th. I pointed out in the chat that the engineer probably needed to sort the problem in the exchange.

Does anyone know what causes this type of fault?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Strange dial out / dial in fault on landline

Go to solution

Hi @APS-Holbrook  Welcome back and sorry you have a fault with your telephone service. 

It's a strange one as it is affecting both incoming and outbound calls. If it was only outbound calls I would suspect a rogue call bar was on the line but that would not explain why you can't receive some calls. The engineer is booked for tomorrow so please come back and let us know how you get on. Hopefully they will fix the problem and explain what happened and if it's not fixed we will be happy to help you get it fixed.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Update - engineer no show (missed appointment) and line still out of order.

Given the missed appointment I searched on compensation. I see that under the "customer service guarantee - keeping you connected" our incoming calls could have been diverted to a mobile number. Why wasn't this offered when I raised the problem?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

The engineer visited on 29th April to test the line. His first comment was to the effect that there won't be anything wrong with the line as it's an exchange fault. He said he had several of this type in the village in the last few weeks. The only problem he had on site was that he couldn't get a mibile phone signal to initiate the test. He had to leave the premises, with his test equipment still attached to the line, and try and get a signal!

Going back to the nature of the fault, I found that I could make calls to and receive calls from neighbours. Within the village and its locality, until a recent spate of development all numbers were 01xxx 327xxx and 01xxx 328xxx. My number is in the 327 group and the only calls that worked were to/from 327xxx numbers. I guess the lines shared a piece of equipment. Also, unsuccessful calls out, where the person called picked up the phone, are showing on the list of calls on the bill!

Anyway, the fault has been fixed and the next challenge is to get compensation for the loss of service from 18th April to 29th April and the missed appointment. With regard to the latter, I have the text from the online chat that confirms the appointment but never received and confirmatory email.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @APS-Holbrook  thanks for posting back and good news to hear that the engineer has fixed the fault.

cheers
John

0 Ratings