Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Johnwrott
Message 1 of 3

Struggling with activation

Hi,

I recently ordered a bt phoneline to be reactivated along with broadband - all with bt. It was due to be active from 29th Jan (Tuesday), but doesn't seem to be working.

I get a dial tone, but any number I ring gets 'the number you have dialled has not been recognised' suggesting the line is still disconnected. Nothing i dial gets through to BT or anyone. Obviously broadband isn't working either which is a real pain as I'm working from home.

The strange thing is when I originally called, I asked to get one phone number reactivated that was the previous number for the property, but seem to have been reallocated another one. I don't mind which number I have but wonder whether next door could have been activated by mistake as that is empty at the moment.

I have phoned BT and raised a fault, and have been told an engineer will look at the external wiring in the next 3 days, which is tricky as I need to work, but I can't help but think that something else is amiss as the previous tenant's phone, broadband and everything else were working perfectly just days before we moved in.

If the engineer comes out and can't solve it because its a different type of connection problem rather than wiring, (which it would seem to be as there is a dial tone etc etc) does that mean I will be back to square 1?

I was on hold for nearly an hour even after using the callback service, and then was transferred to lots of different departments who seemed to struggle to understand what I was having trouble with - I'm not keen to go through that again if an engineer can't resolve it quickly!

I do wonder if next door has actually been connected by mistake as there are only two properties in the row, and the other is empty. Its difficult to know that the right property is definitely connected as the old number for the property seems to have now been disconnected. Can this be checked?
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Struggling with activation

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: Struggling with activation

Try dialling 150 and see where you call is routed to.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings