Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
HenGus
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Telephone Fault Rectification Times

Go to solution

Having tried unsuccessfully to contact our daughter yesterday, we reported a permanently engaged tone to BT. They did a line check and reported by SMS to her that there is an exchange fault on the line which should be rectified by 5pm Thursday. How do BT calculate the given time and what do the Ts and Cs say about standard repair times? I am not a BT customer but I am watching with interest how this fault is resolved as I am looking to move my BB to BT Infinity. Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Telephone Fault Rectification Times

Go to solution

You would have to contact your own service provider about repair timescales, as you are their customer.

It Openreach that fix the line from your service providers equipment in the exchange, to the master socket in your house.

BT retail have nothing to do with your phone line, unless you pay them for your calls.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Openreach provide a three working day response time on all residential fault reports. If the fault is reported on a weekend or bank holiday it will roll over to the nearest working day, so although you reported the fault on Saturday commitment date starts from Monday morning.

Now just because they give a three working day commitment it doesn't mean it won't be fixed until the third working day, it could be fixed sooner or even later depending on various things such as how many jobs they have in that specific area compared to how many engineers they have and also what needs doing to repair the fault as it could be as simple as replacing the fuse in the exchange or the entire block might be faulty and need replacing.

Now you are probably thinking if the fault was reporte Monday the third working day should be Wednesday? Well your right but the reason BT say Thursday is because that is the date the fault needs to be fixed by before they will start paying your daughters daily line rental rebate back to her.

In reference to you watching with interest because you are thinking about moving to BT Infinity, Broadband Faults have different repair and lead times and also no matter what Fibre Service Provider you went with, with the exception of Virgin Cable it would still be Openreach calling out to sort it anyway.

0 Ratings
HenGus
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Thank you. I will pass this information on to my daughter.
0 Ratings