cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwmk
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

Telephone extensions not working after Openreach upgrade to lines in neighbourhood

My 91 year old mother's phone has not been working for three and a half weeks while lines in her neighbourhood were upgraded to support broadband.

The good news is that an Openreach engineer has now fixed her master socket and one phone in her house is now working.

The bad news is that the handsets on two extension sockets stopped working, when the master socket was fixed. 

The Openreach engineer told my mother that the handsets attached to the extensions were old and should not be used and need to be replaced. That may well be true, but I brought one handset home and it works fine plugged into an extension at our own house - we use BT Infinity with one master socket (for the broadband router) and three extension sockets (with ordinary handsets)

The two extension sockets in my mother's house seem to be dead. (If you plug a normal handset into them nothing happens). It looks to me as if it's not the equipment that is the problem, but the sockets, which, as far as I can tell, appear to have been disconnected.

From what I can see, the telephone line comes into an (old) junction box in the house. One (new) line then goes down to the (working) master socket, and another (old) line goes directly from the junction box to the (not working) extension sockets. 

My question is: who is responsibile for fixing this mess? I understand that the homeowner is responsible for the equipment and internal telephone wiring in their house, but I don't want to meddle with the wiring and sockets myself. Also, my mother (like many elderly people) has an emergency red button machine (supplied by the local authority) connected to the main phone in her house. Fortunately that now seems to be working, but I don't want to do anything that could affect the red button machine or stop the main phone working again. 

We don't necessarily want to replace the system back to exactly what it was before, but my mother would like at least one extra phone in the house. The main phone is in the living room. She is hard of hearing and can't hear the phone ringing when she is in her bedroom. She doesn't like using a handsfree phone - she fiinds it much easier just to lift the handset to get dialling tone, and replace the handset when she has finished - as you could in the good old days! So an extension socket and handset in (or near) the bedroom seems to be the ideal solution, if only we could get the extension sockets working again!

My mother does not want broadband. She just wants her ordinary landline to work and to be able to plug an extra handset into an extension socket. 

Can anyone help please?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Telephone extensions not working after Openreach upgrade to lines in neighbourhood

Hi cwmk,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting!

Sorry that your Mum's extension sockets were disconnected when the engineer fixed the master socket.  Send us over the details and we'll look into this from here.

Click on my username and under the "about me" section you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheers

Robbie

0 Ratings