Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kah22
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

This number is not in service

Go to solution

I’m a BT customer. Landline and internet.

Today I received a call but didn’t answer it, thinking it was a cold call. The number rang for much longer than your average cold call.

Immediately after the ringing stopped I carried out a 1471 and was given a number beginning with 01259 xxxxxx showing it came from Alloa in Scotland .  Immediately after that I rang the number but got the message ‘sorry this number is not in service,’ even though it had just rang me !

Any ideas as to what this is all about

Kevin

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: This number is not in service

Go to solution

@kah22wrote:

I’m a BT customer. Landline and internet.

Today I received a call but didn’t answer it, thinking it was a cold call. The number rang for much longer than your average cold call.

Immediately after the ringing stopped I carried out a 1471 and was given a number beginning with 01259 xxxxxx showing it came from Alloa in Scotland .  Immediately after that I rang the number but got the message ‘sorry this number is not in service,’ even though it had just rang me !

Any ideas as to what this is all about

Kevin

It's likely to be a scam call from a spoofed number using a VoIP system, not actually from Alloa. Hence the number doesn't actually belong to anyone.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Welcome back @kah22 and thanks for posting.

I think @Andy_N  is spot on here (kudos to you Andy Smiley Wink). This is certainly a scam call and should be ignored.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
kah22
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Doesn’t surprise me, though my original thought was a cold call - someone telling I had a virus on my computer or better still there was loads of PPI money I was due 😷

It’s moving away from my original question but can the telecommunication companies and the government not do anything to stop these type of calls, or is is it the price we have to pay for modern technology

Kevin
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@kah22wrote:

It’s moving away from my original question but can the telecommunication companies and the government not do anything to stop these type of calls, or is is it the price we have to pay for modern technology

If it really was that easy, they would have stopped it by now. It's a worldwide issue and with the rise of VoIP systems it's going to get worse in my view, before it gets better. You would hope the telecoms companies are talking together about the issue, but I expect they are all individually doing their own thing to come up with a solution "to be the first".

BT are hoping to replace all their exchanges with VoIP systems by 2025 ...

0 Ratings
Starwire
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
BT and other CP’s do block known nuisance numbers but it’s circular, for every number they block the people doing it generate another number to replace it.

It’s like Torrent Sites, ISP’s Block one but within hours there’s 2 or 3 mirror sites to replace it.
0 Ratings
kah22
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
OK guys thanks for your input. What would the general advice be to avoid as many of these calls as possible

At the moment there is really no more than half a dozen call me on my landline; some call give two or three rings, hang up and call back. The rest I’ve started to check via 1471 and if I don’t recognise the number I don’t ring back but that’s a hassle at times
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@kah22wrote:
OK guys thanks for your input. What would the general advice be to avoid as many of these calls as possible

At the moment there is really no more than half a dozen call me on my landline; some call give two or three rings, hang up and call back. The rest I’ve started to check via 1471 and if I don’t recognise the number I don’t ring back but that’s a hassle at times

BT Call Protect will stop some.  A call barring phone would be the 100% answer.

0 Ratings