Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spluff
Expert
Message 1 of 9

Thunderstorm - phones went dead

Hi,

On Saturday night we had a thunderstorm and the phone went dead. 

I did the following:-

Connected phone directly to the BT infinity master wall socket
Tried another phone
Removed the front plate of master socket and plugged directly into that (test socket)

No tone signal in all instances and when ringing line it doesnt ring just says busy...

I have engineer coming out  on Tuesday but just recieved a text message that says they cannot find a fault and it looks like an internal problem and will charge £130 - which I cannot afford... 

Surely it cannot be my fault that most likely the problem is the main BT box?

Cheers

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thunderstorm - phones went dead

that is purely a warning as you have tried the test socket and the fault is still there there should be no charge
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Have you taken the SSFP totally apart, as there is the original test socket behind it. The SSFP is very susceptible to damage due to storms as it has a number of electronic components inside.

If you can get dial tone on that main test socket, behind the main front section, then you can simply plug a microfilter in there, and get phone and broadband back, and forget about the SSFP and visit, and save yourself £130.

The SSFP is not used in self install anyway.

0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 4 of 9

yes it took that off aswell and it was still no dial tone - does this definitely mean I wont get charged £130 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@spluff wrote:
yes it took that off aswell and it was still no dial tone - does this definitely mean I wont get charged £130 🙂

That proves it outside, provided you have no other connections before the master socket. Some old installations had an extra junction box before the master socket, and it was not unusual to find people who had connected extensions to this box.

A fault on an extension like this, would be chargeable, so its a good idea to check.

If there is no other wiring, and no external damage, like worn wiring on side of house, then you should be fine.

See

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Engineer turned up and said that storm caused problem most likely through lines and blew something at the back of the white box BT box and there definitely wont be a charge.

He said the Homehub 5 was also damaged but unfortunately didn't have any left on him to replace.

He said he will ring into BT - but said it may take a while and but advised to contact to organise - can you sort me out with a Homehub? Thanks
0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 7 of 9

I spoke with the BT engineer yesterday to see if he had logged the problem with the Homehub 5 and he said he had and said it was not my fault.

I have not heard anything from BT to replace this homehub5.

Can someone please help me? I don't want to go through the rigmarole of speaking to someone in India following a script and not understand what happened
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

the only way is via the help line i am afraid
0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 9 of 9

sigh 🙂
0 Ratings