cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Transfer VOIP number to BT

Hello,

About half a year ago I moved from BT Broadband to an EE 4GEE contract for broadband and Vonage for a VOIP landline. The landline number we had with BT was transferred to Vonage.

We recently got FTTP installed near us and can rejoin BT to have access to it with a 1 Stage install. However, I would like to know if the number can be ported back to BT from Vonage or will we have to get a new number?

Thank You

-Jack

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Transfer VOIP number to BT

@VortexHD 

Do you still have a copper landline feeding your property?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Yes, there is one still in place but the line is not active. Also, how do they go about hooking up the FTTP because the copper cable comes under the driveway?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

This what I would suggest, unless someone else has a better idea.

If your phone number is important to you, then the first thing would be to get it activated again by placing an order for a phone line.

Once its working with a new number, then you can ask Vonage to release the line back to BT, and you can then request a renumber back to your original number.

BT may accept a direct port from Vonage. The important thing is that the number does belong to BT, and you have not moved house.

You will need a phone number to order FTTP anyway.

As for the new fibre routing, Openreach will work out a route, and most likely drill a hole through the wall. There are other forum members that may be able to tell you more.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thank You, Might just be easier to get a new number in that case but will try to get them to port it over directly.

You mentioned I need a number to order FTTP? Can't I just order it online like I would any other service?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@VortexHD wrote:

Thank You, Might just be easier to get a new number in that case but will try to get them to port it over directly.

You mentioned I need a number to order FTTP? Can't I just order it online like I would any other service?

Getting a new number would be easier, and you could always use your Vonage number on your broadband, when its working.

Just place your order for a phone line in the normal way, via the BT website.

Once its working, you will be able to use that number to order FTTP broadband, as the Openreach database should then show FTTP available on that number.

The cost of your FTTP broadband will include the line rental, so you won`t  be worse off.

FTTP can take a while to be installed, so I would keep your existing 4G connection working, until your installation is complete and working. They always take longer than promised.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thank you for all the help.

So if I place an order for the cheapest landline deal called "PAY AS YOU GO". At what point will it ask me if I want to port over a number?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@VortexHD wrote:

Thank you for all the help.

So if I place an order for the cheapest landline deal called "PAY AS YOU GO". At what point will it ask me if I want to port over a number?

I am not sure what happens with VOIP.  It will probably ask if you want to keep your number, and as the number belongs to BT, in theory it should be recognised, but if not, you may have to do it at a later date, with help from the BT moderators on this forum.

They cannot do anything until you are a BT customer with a working line.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Yeah, when I start the order it asks if I have a landline active and when I enter the number it says "Sorry we've experienced a temporary problem" Probably best to just ring up. Thank You soo much for your help and time. 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Please post back here, when you have a working BT Retail line.

0 Ratings