Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Interstella
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Transfer a satellite phone number to BT

Go to solution

I curently have satellite internet and a geographic phone number which is also on the satellite via VOIP.  I now want this number transferred back to BT but either BT or Openreach (not sure which)doesn't seem to know what to do in order to get my number released by my satellite provider and the satellite provider doesn't seem to know what to do either!  I cannot be unique...this problem must have happened before.  I don't appear to have any way to contact Openreach to tell them and BT seemed to be confused by the whole situation!

Anybody have any ideas, please?  I'm going to be left without Internet and landline in a week's time unless this can be resolved as my satellite Internet contract finishes soon and it looks like the BT order cannot be completed until the number is released.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Transfer a satellite phone number to BT

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Who originally provided you with the phone number you wish to keep?

0 Ratings
Interstella
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply.  This was originally a BT number allocated to me in 2013.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

@Interstella wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  This was originally a BT number allocated to me in 2013.

Are you at the same address as you were in 2013?

0 Ratings
Interstella
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Yes, address is the same.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

@Interstella wrote:

Yes, address is the same.

Then your number will still physically exist on the hardware within that exchange. You would initially have to accept a temporary number while service is activated. You need to wait until this is actually working. I would also get your broadband organised at the same time, so you have connectivity.

Once the VOIP line has been ceased, you can then ask BT for a renumber back to your own number.

The first stage is to get your BT service ordered on a new number, without waiting for the old number to be released, as the number belongs to BT Retail anyway, and will always revert to them.

If you have any problems with this, then more help can be offered.

0 Ratings
Interstella
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply, Keith.  I already have fibre broadband ordered but when I placed the order I asked if I could keep my current number. I have now been told by BT that if I change the order and have a new number then that would create further delays.  Had I known this a few weeks ago then I wouldn't have bothered keeping the old number but I was given the impression that transferring it wouldn't be a problem.  

They haven't offered me a temporary number at the moment but I'll phone BT tomorrow and see is this is an option that would enable my phone and broadband activation to go ahead on January 25th.  I really don't want any further delay or I'm going to left with nothing as there's no mobile signal where I live. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

I cannot see how it would delay things, as the order must already be on hold, or already cancelled, as broadband cannot be provided until there is a working phone number.

If BT Retail allocate another number to the order, then it should be possible to progress this as normal.

If you like, I can ask one of the moderators to case manage this process? They are quite busy, but should be able to take a look for you within a few days?

They should also be able to help to get your number back, once you have a working phone and broadband service.

You will still need to speak to BT Retail tomorrow, to get things moving.

0 Ratings
Interstella
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

I am supposed to be having the landline reinstated and broadband activated on the 25th and according to the progress I can see on the website this hasn't changed at the moment but there is a warning (see photo below) that the order is taking longer than expected and when I phoned BT regarding this I was told that this is due to the problem transferring the number.  I will be chasing up my satellite provider again tomorrow to try to get the number released but at the moment I haven't been able to discuss this with anyone within their organisation who seesm to understand what I require!

I would very much appreciate it if a moderator could help if you think they can do so in the timescale involved.  As I have already had an order for fibre and landline cancelled without reason or warning I am somewhat concerned that history is going to repeat itself!

Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 16.10.17.png

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

I am sure they would like to help, I cannot see it being too complicated.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings