Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbbill999
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Transferring a number

Hi

i have a Bt line ending 19 this is my broadband 

I want to transfer another phone land line number ending 48 from another supplier . My fibre broad band includes the land line phone line 

i dont  want to loose my bt history of emails etc 

how to do it? What number to phone to arrange? 

Thanks   Bill 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Transferring a number

@bbbill999 

You would have to request an additional line to be installed, as you would not be able to use a number belonging to another provider, for your BT Broadband line.

There is also no guarantee that your other provider can provide a new line with the same number.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

No easy way to do this and you do run the risk of losing what you already have, but, if you have a BT line with BT broadband (01*******19) and a second line at the same property , but billed by another provider (01*******48) , you contact BT to migrate the ‘48’ line from whoever you currently have it with, to BT , so after that migration you have 2 lines both with BT, the lines exactly as they were apart from BT billy no for both. 
You then need a renumber order ( or possibly 2 renumber orders) , renumbering the ‘19’ number line to ‘48’ and what was the ‘48’ number line to something else , or you could use the ‘19’ number to keep it relatively simple, at this point you still have 2 lines with BT and assuming you keep the existing numbers from your point of view the line numbers have swapped, where the ‘19’ number was , the ‘48’ number appears and vice versa.
You need to consider that if you migrated ‘48’ to BT you start a minimum term 12/18 months, so if you dispense with the newer line ( possibly now the ‘19’ number ) you would have early termination charges to pay...if you don’t want 2 lines , just the BT line but with the other company’s number on it, you won’t be able to do that unless you migrate the line first, and there is a good  chance it will go wrong

0 Ratings
bbbill999
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks     It’s trying to avoid the good chance of it going wrong I was trying to avoid     Hum  haaa 

when end I took up the fibre they said I could migrate & I found a number to call Just thus afternoon, but I fear it’s going to go pear shape 

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 5 of 6

@bbbill999wrote:

Thanks     It’s trying to avoid the good chance of it going wrong I was trying to avoid     Hum  haaa 

when end I took up the fibre they said I could migrate & I found a number to call Just thus afternoon, but I fear it’s going to go pear shape 

??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@bbbill999 wrote:

i dont  want to loose my bt history of emails etc 

The first thing you should do before embarking on anything is to back up all your emails although they shouldn't get lost in the process as long as it doesn't take more than 60 days!!!

If you normally use webmail, I suggest you download one of the free email clients such as Thunderbird and download all your emails to that as a precaution.

0 Ratings