cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saz1
Message 1 of 5

Transferring number from Virgin

I've just moved from Virgin to BT (broadband and landline), and this was activated yesterday.

I asked to transfer my landline number to BT as part of my switch.  When I dial 17070 it confirms that my number is the number I had with Virgin.

I can make calls on the BT line, but not receive them.  I plugged the landline back into the Virgin socket, and can both ring out and receive calls.  My contract with Virgin ends in a couple of weeks as I was told by BT to keep my services with them until the landline was set up.

Obviously BT have not contacted Virgin to transfer the number over.  I tried to call customer services this morning but all they wanted to do was send an engineer out, which is a waste of time so I declined.  Customer services were categoric that the issue is not that the number hasn't been ported over, but it clearly is if I can make calls on both my BT line and Virgin line!

Should I contact Virgin to get the line closed or is this something BT should be doing?  I'm not even convinced it would work if I did that!  Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Transferring number from Virgin

Welcome to this user forum.

You cannot have the same incoming number with two providers, which is why your incoming calls are still going to Virgin. The incoming calls cannot be ported over until your Virgin service ends.

All you can do is to contact Virgin and ask them to terminate your service now, so that the number can released back to BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Saz1
Message 3 of 5

Great, thanks that was really helpful.  If the number is released does that mean I will automatically be able to use it on my BT line (seeing as that is the number it says it is set up for?), or will I need to contact BT again?  Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Once the number has been released back to BT Retail, then it should be possible to port the incoming calls, as its not possible at the moment.

If you have any issues once the number is released, then please post back here.

0 Ratings
Saz1
Message 5 of 5

Thanks, will do

0 Ratings