Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Hmc10
Message 1 of 6

Trees swallowing phone lines

Go to solution
Hi there
I recently have bought a new property and have noticed the trees in back garden are touching the phone lines. I am not a bt customer but was wondering who’s responsibility it was to sort this as I think it could cause potential damage/disruption to the service?
Please can I have some help/advice

Best Regards
Hayley
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
Message 2 of 6

Re: Trees swallowing phone lines

Go to solution
Normally they’ll just be left there. If and when the tree damages the cable Openreach will usually just cut and draw a new cable through and the process will continue.

As you own the tree if it was causing an obstruction they may ask you to cut it back but you’re under no obligation to. Might **bleep** off your neighbours though.
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@Hmc10wrote:
Hi there
I recently have bought a new property and have noticed the trees in back garden are touching the phone lines. I am not a bt customer but was wondering who’s responsibility it was to sort this as I think it could cause potential damage/disruption to the service?
Please can I have some help/advice

Best Regards
Hayley

You may need to check with your local authority first to make sure that the tree doesn't have a Tree Preservation Order on it, if it does then you can't prune or fell it without permission to do so. .

Hmc10
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Agh ok thanks!
I will check with them first.
0 Ratings
Hmc10
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Yeah, it’s really tall and mangling the lines.
As I’m a new neighbor to the area and it is in my garden and is blocking the sunlight and probably is **bleeping** off the neighbours I’ll just have to check with local authority to make sure I am ok and try get it cut back/down.
Thanks for all the help
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Hmc10wrote:
Yeah, it’s really tall and mangling the lines.
As I’m a new neighbor to the area and it is in my garden and is blocking the sunlight and probably is **bleeping** off the neighbours I’ll just have to check with local authority to make sure I am ok and try get it cut back/down.
Thanks for all the help

If it's so tall as to run the risk of property damage if it came down during a storm then the local authority are unlikely to object to you pruning it even if there is a preservation order on it.

0 Ratings