cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Message 1 of 14

Trouble with landline

Please help! For some reason my landline isnt ringing to let me know i have an incoming call. It does let me ring out tho. At first i thought i was my phone so i bought a new one and its still doing the same!

I tried to ring my landline off my mobile phone and when i ring my landline it says on my mobile that the call has been answered straight away without even a dialtone.... Hope this makes sense πŸ˜•

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Trouble with landline

You are suffering from what is called "ring trip", it is usually caused by a fault on your line like a wet joint or contact with another line.

You need to report it to your service provider, the one who you pay your call charges to, which I am assuming is BT.

You can report it online here https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21&s_cid=con_FURL_faults

Or you can call 151, or 0800 800 151

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Thank you, will do that. Do you know if it is expensive to repair?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

If the fault is on your line, then it will be repaired free of charge. As you have already proven you own wiring is fine, by using the test socket, the the fault is outside of your house, and you will not be charged.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

I am not sure if you have checked at the master socket.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

I have checked the phone in two sockets that we have in the house and it just does the same thing.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

If you do the line test as shown on the BT website, it should detect the line fault.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Thanks. Just tried the test and it said the problem is likely to be in my property

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Did you unplug your phone first. ? The line test is not accurate if the fault is close to your house. Make sure that nothing else, including sky boxes, is plugged into your line.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Tried everything 😞  Tried both sockets, got a new phone, unplugged everything out the sockets, put back in again... Its not like im not recieving incoming calls because i am, it just dosent ring to tell me i have an incoming call, so i end up with missed calls displayed on my phone..

0 Ratings