cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Trying to switch from Sky to BT - saying I have a stopped number?

Applied to switch toBt fibre broadbands with my existing (fully working) landline. The application got to the end then said  “Unfortunately the phone number you entered is for a stopped line which can't be reactivated”. 

the landline is not stopped; it is live and working.

can anybody assist

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Trying to switch from Sky to BT - saying I have a stopped number?

@Mancrick101 

Who were you with before Sky?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi. 
we moved into this address 3 years ago and carried over Sky from the previous address.  Prior to moving in, I am not sure but I think the previous owners were with BT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

When you moved 3 years ago did you take number with you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi, no, I wanted to take the number with me but Sky said at the time that because it wasn’t a business line, we were not entitled to keep the number, so we were given a new number at the new address. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Mancrick101 

Who were you with before Sky?

This has nothing to do with any previous owners. Sky have their own equipment in the exchange.

Did BT first issue your current phone number, or have you never been with BT in the past?

The Stopped Line message only refers to the fact that your number belongs to BT Retail, and has been ported out to another provider (Sky), which would be the case if you were with BT in the past, before you went to Sky.

I assume its your current Sky number you wish to keep?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

What type of ‘BT Broadband’ are you trying to get, if it’s FTTP ( which Sky don’t currently chose to offer) it could be incompatibility between Sky’s LLU kit and the FTTP kit which isn’t necessarily located at your local exchange....

If it’s not that , just regular ASDL2 or FTTC , then if the number is a proper Sky number they should be obliged to port it on request, BT should have no record of its ‘status’ , if it’s a number that Sky imported at some time , ( probably from BT ) then it’s difficult to see what the problem is, the number should be shown as ported not stopped on BT systems.

It could be that your property had more than one line in the past , a stopped ‘BT’ line and your Sky service and the BT rep has misidentified the stopped line as the one you want to migrate to BT.
Perhaps a BT mod will pick up on this and offer to look into it for you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@Mancrick101 wrote:

Hi, no, I wanted to take the number with me but Sky said at the time that because it wasn’t a business line, we were not entitled to keep the number, so we were given a new number at the new address. 

It sounds to me like you have always been with Sky, and they may own the number.

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

See who actually owns your current phone number.

0 Ratings