cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Two houses one telephone line

Go to solution

Hello,

I live on a row of four terraced houses.  Two of the house each have a telephone line, whereas myself and my neighbour share one line connecting to the neighbours wall, going into a sort of gray box, with one wire then to the neighbour and one wire to me.   I am not sure why they did this, and all the telephone lines look the same to me. 

I know nothing really on telecommunications, so i want to ask is this normal?  I am less than impressed by my broadband speed (about 25 mbps), and although I know there are a lot of factors to consider in internet speed, i want to ensure this isn't a factor.  My neighbour doesn't have internet, so i'm also worried that if / when someone else moves in my connection will suffer further. 

Thanks!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Two houses one telephone line

Go to solution

are you a BT Broadband customer?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hello, no the package is not with BT however i understand BT are responsible for the lines (i think!)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

BT Retail are not responsible for the lines it is openreach.  you need to contact your own ISP.

I suspect that the 'box' is just a junction box and is not causing any problems for your internet connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks, just strikes me as odd that 1 wire is split for 2 houses, whereas on the other 2 houses they each have their own wire. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

'The Wire' has many 'wires' within the cable and only 2 are need for your connection so in effect there are many 'pairs' of wires capable of delivering phone connection to more than one house