cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cactusgirl
Message 1 of 7

Unable to get landline number back

Go to solution

I 'm not sure if anyone is able to answer this as it is a BT number issue, but I am with Virgin Media.

I am unable to get my landline number back which is very inconvenient. I had been with Virgin Media for years with a home broadband/phone package (sorry BT) and in February requested to have the package moved to Virgin Business and to keep that number for the business (working from home). This worked fine. However 6 months later the business has now moved to different premises so we moved the Virgin Business contract to the new address and that has been given a new phone number. I have not moved house, and asked for Virgin Media home broadband and phoneline back again. Which has been done. However I have been told that they are unable to port my original landline number back from business to home (it was possible to do it the other way round)

I would very much like to keep the original number as my home landline. I have lived in the same house for 29 years and had that number all this time and it had been my grandparents' before that, so it's been with this property at least since the '70s. All my friends, family and various contacts going back years have that number and it will be extremely time consuming to tell everyone the new number. My question is, can I get it back?

Any help and advice would be most appreciated 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to get landline number back

Go to solution

@cactusgirl 

This is BT Retail forum for BT Retail customers.

BT do not control number allocations. If you did have an old BT Business number, then that would only exist on the original exchange you were connected to. Once you move, that number would be unavailable.

You could try asking on the BT Business forum, but I would not hold out too much hope.

http://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

The only other option would be to move all your services back to BT, as they own your number.

It may then be possible to get your number back, provided you have not moved address since BT first issued your number.

If you are still running a business, then you would have to move to BT Business, as you cannot run a business on a residential account.

If you are now just a residential user, and your original number was issued by BT as a residential number, then if you decide to move your services back to BT Retail, then further help can be offered.

0 Ratings
cactusgirl
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I'm in a contract with Virgin so can't move just now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

If you decide to return to BT, then if you post back on this forum, I am sure someone would be able to help.

The other option of course, would be to have a separate line fitted by BT, as that would not interfere with your existing phone service from VM, as VM do not use the Openreach network.

This would involve some additional cost, but you should be able to get your personal number back if it was originally just a residential number at the same address as originally issued.

0 Ratings
cactusgirl
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Ah thank you, I didn't think about that. I'll look into cost for line only with BT. Thanks for the speedy response too 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

If you decide to go down that route, you will initially be given a new number.

Once your service is active, then provided that is was originally a residential number, one of the BT moderators should be able to get your original number back. Its never 100% guaranteed, but you would know fairly quickly.

All of these statements must be true:-

1. Your original number which you want back, was issued by BT Retail and is owned by them, and is not a BT Business number
  2. You are living at the exact same address that you were when BT issued the number. This is important as the number would only exist on that same physical exchange (not just the exchange area code)

Your number would have returned back to BT, and would be marked as unavailable, and would need manual intervention to reserve it.

0 Ratings