cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nicolakgreen
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Unable to receive calls - intermittent problem since switching

We switched our TV, internet and phone from Sky to BT on Monday 8th Feb and everything was fine.

Sunday 14th Feb we couldn't receive calls for most of the day, then it was fine again by the evening.

Sunday 21st Feb we again couldn't receive calls but that issue never resolved and we still can't receive calls now.

Ringing 17070 reports my correct number. When I call the landline from my mobile it doesn’t ring, just immediately disconnects.

I have run through the online diagnostic and it found no problems, but when I contacted India via chat the guy went through the same questions again and said that there is a CA fault, which means the problem is in my house.

I had broadband with Sky, this is my first fibre Internet so I don’t have any spare fibre kit to swap out. Can I try using my old sky filters and router, or will they not work with the new fibre connection? If the new BT kit that was sent to me is faulty how do I get replacements? I am stuck on how to fix this. Any advice gratefully received. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to receive calls - intermittent problem since switching

hi you cannot use your sky router it will not work on fibre your BT hub is not faulty you need an engineer visit to resolve your phone fault  no new equipment is needed 

0 Ratings
Nicolakgreen
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I didn't think that the old broadband equipment would work to swap out for testing, so thanks for confirming that.

The guy on chat said that the problem was with our equipment though, so how does an engineer help? or is he going to sell me new gear as well as charging me £130? I would really rather not have to pay any more on top of what this switch has already cost.

EDIT: And it seems to be working again this morning. I guess we just have to wait and see whether it stops working again next Sunday.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Hi Suggest you try a known working corded phone in the test point of your main telephone socket, this will eliminate any issues with your own wiring or equipment.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

no the engineer will not sell you new gear he comes from Openreach not BT and providing your fault is not with your internal extensions wiring you will not be charged at all as Devon_Dave has posted try a known working phone in the test socket and if the fault is still there then it is on Openreach network and will be repaired at no charge to you the 130.00 charge is purely an advisory charge if the fault is within your home and the same is charged by all providers not just BT

Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Nicolakgreen
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

@Devon_Dave wrote:
Hi Suggest you try a known working corded phone in the test point of your main telephone socket, this will eliminate any issues with your own wiring or equipment.

Dave

Thanks for the advice. Our phone sockets don’t have test points, but I am sure I can find someone who still has a corded phone I can borrow.

0 Ratings
Nicolakgreen
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

@john46 wrote:

no the engineer will not sell you new gear he comes from Openreach not BT and providing your fault is not with your internal extensions wiring you will not be charged at all as Devon_Dave has posted try a known working phone in the test socket and if the fault is still there then it is on Openreach network and will be repaired at no charge to you the 130.00 charge is purely an advisory charge if the fault is within your home and the same is charged by all providers not just BT

John

I just don’t understand what the engineer is for - it sounds like they can’t help if the problem is with my equipment, but the guy on chat said that was definitely where the fault is. Like I said above, I’ll try and find a corded phone to try next time it all stops working. Thanks for the advice. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Once you have a corded phone plug it into what you think is the 1st socket from where the line enters your premises. ensure you unlplug every thing else in your house (router/sky box/broadband filters/extension cables)
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.