cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Unable to retain number when moving house.

I currently have an 01792 number on Reynoldston exchange, an RCU off of Swansea. The new location will be off Swansea main exchange. Why am I not able to retain the number if I am still connected the same main exchange ?

First, can someone confirm that Reymoldson is an RCU working off of Swansea.

Secondly, if it is, why is it not possible to retain the same number?

Note: My terminology may be a bit out of date (i.e. 25 years), as an Ex-System X data manager, but hopefully you get my drift.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unable to retain number when moving house.

As your current number is proper to Reynoldson exchange (RCU) and presumably you are moving to an address that isn't also proper to Reynoldson , you won't be able to take your number across an exchange boundary , even if both Reynoldson RCU and whatever the exchange (Swansea ?) you are moving to are parented on the same processor.

If the number is that important, and you will have broadband on your new (Swansea) number, you could export the Reynoldson number to a VOIP provider and access it via your broadband.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I still can't see why the Swansea processor can't redirect the call to another concentrator. It is only data that determines where to send the call, why not just amend the data? It's not as if it was a Strowger or TXE2 exchanges, it's digital for crying out loud.

Notwithstanding my rant, I'm wondering if they offer a  re-direction service so that calls destined for the old number are intercepted and send it to the new number pro-tem, like mail re-direction. They redirect calls to a mobile when there is a landline fault, so I don't see why not.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

I dare say although it's technically possible, it isn't offered, perhaps it's to try and maintain the integrity of the linked number scheme, or just to keep things simple.

TBH, customers of VM have ,I believe,  less flexibility when it comes to moving a number to a new address, and I believe Sky don't offer it at all.

Facility's like CNI (changed number interception) apparently now called caller redirect, are available but they are not free and possibly time limited.

Diverting calls to a mobile during a fault is offered but this is a facility anyone can add to their landline , ( putting your landline on divert to your mobile whilst you are out of the house) but you can turn it off when you get home or the fault is cleared, and line rental is paid on that line/number...do you want to pay 2x line rental and the cost of the diverted call ? and may mess up any order from the new occupant of your old address.

There was , and it may still be offered, a product that allowed a 'phantom office' type arrangement ( aimed at business) where you could have ( and publish) say a Cardiff number , even though your business was in Swansea, calls to the Cardiff number are immediately diverted  to your Swansea number, the idea that a potential customer may dismiss company's with a Swansea number and only call 'local' Cardiff numbers, little do they know that the local call they made to a Cardiff number was answered in Swansea ..the Cardiff number isnt connected to a cable pair ...

you could enquire about something like this, so anyone calling your old number is diverted to your new number but it's not free , and costs more than the VOIP solution I suggested

0 Ratings