cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Unable to use landline

I recently had broadband fitted.  The telephone light (Tel1) has always been off.  I thought plugging in a handset would make the Tel1 light come on, but it hasn't.  I don't get any dialling tone, and can't make or receive calls with my landline number (which I was supplied with when my broadband was installed).  I've power cycled the modem, but this hasn't worked. 

Do I or BT need to do something to activate the landline?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unable to use landline

Are BT your provider ?, presumably you have FTTP , is the address a new build so only fibre, or is it an overlay area , where fibre has been provided in addition to the existing copper pair service ?, on what basis is your telephone service delivered assuming a new build or you asked for the phone over fibre ?(FVA or Digital Voice, FVA unlikely as it’s been unavailable to order from Openreach for a few months ) 
If an overlay area, unless you specifically asked for the phone service to be also delivered over the FTTP , then the copper phone socket remains active for telephony.
If it’s a new build and no copper pair , then you may need to contact the FTTP service reps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Unable to use landline

if you have no standard master socket for older style copper phone line then try connecting phone to the phone socket on the back of the hub and see if you get a dial tone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings