Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 1 of 6

Unavailable numbers defeating Call Protect

Hi,

I have been a strong advocate of Call Protect from within a short time of its launch and I still believe it has worked well for me.

However, in the last couple weeks two unavailable calls got through without being sent to junk mail.  Now today I have had four get through.

Have the scammers found another way to defeat Call Protect ?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unavailable numbers defeating Call Protect

Many “unavailable” numbers are of type “international out of area”,  or voip and Call Protect does not show a distinction.

I recently  received an email from BT shop promoting a new “Premium” phone which has many features and uses True Call.....Looks complicated to set up though, and it can’t replace the simple -  block this - block that, or if it can, it’s difficult to see the exact setup, based on the information give.

There’s long way to go yet. Sometimes your phone handset gives more information on the caller, and sometimes the separate cpr call blocker (not BT supply)  gives info, e.g. voip, or international out of area.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 3 of 6

@Ribblelancswrote:

Many “unavailable” numbers are of type “international out of area”,  or voip and Call Protect does not show a distinction.

I recently  received an email from BT shop promoting a new “Premium” phone which has many features and uses True Call.....Looks complicated to set up though, and it can’t replace the simple -  block this - block that, or if it can, it’s difficult to see the exact setup, based on the information give.

There’s long way to go yet. Sometimes your phone handset gives more information on the caller, and sometimes the separate cpr call blocker (not BT supply)  gives info, e.g. voip, or international out of area.

But my point was, in case I did not make it clear, as these showed up as "unavailable" they should have been sent to junk mail as has been happening ever since Call Protect was set up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 6

It's difficult.
Caller display is dumb.
My Panasonic phone has an option to check for more info on calls which show as International or unavailable. Sometimes number shows as uk, but have an international stamp on further checks....or they may show as international or, when checked show a UK number.
Over the months indications are that Call Protect only blocks UK unavailable calls, but not international unavailable calls. In all cases just let it ring, and check afterwards.
You can set it to block international calls, but his blocks friends and family abroad. You can probably overrule this by setting them as vip.....ok, until you put it to test in an emergency!

You can block international out of area calls on the cpr blocker. I have 69 blocked calls listed in this category, over the months. This is an advantage the cpr has over other systems.
Perhaps BT could take note.
I tell relatives to make sure that Skype is set to show caller id at their end....it works.

The BT Premium Phones have all these facilities but still seem to rely on callers announcing themselves. (As you grow older, your friends grow older, and many just give up in exasperation when confronted with having to announce themselves) Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 5 of 6

HI @Ribblelancs ,

Many thanks for the info.  The "unavailable" calls yesterday have shown up as per the picture below.  I rarely look at these.

I bought a quad call blocking phone just Call Protect was launched ( I was not aware of this before hand), but have never bothered to set it up.

unavailable.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 6

Yes!
The +19 number is a "BT" scammer, from USA. It's reported as "dangerous" on a website which lists these calls.
There were two similar calls logged -( but not the same as your number), here two days ago. They were not shown on the handset listing but were shown on the Call Protect listing. Nor was it shown on the cpr listing, so it's been intercepted by BT.

You can also enter it into BT's Report a Scam Call database. Replace the +1 with 001.

0 Ratings