cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnny55
Message 1 of 9

Unblocking a family member living abroad

My poor Mum was somehow put on some B.T phone setup where my number (I live in the U.S and often call or call usng skype) comes up with the 1571 Lady saying certain numbers have been blocked. My Mum never gets my message through this and it NEVER rings through. It takes me twenty attempts (if at all) to get somehow past this lock I571 that was wrongly put on her phone. She never blocked my number. I have great difficulty ever calling her especially in emergencies. Guess what B.T? My Wife died this year and I had a grand ol' time trying to reach her in July to inform her what happened (and try to get her over for the funeral) being she's not online and uses a telephone. Something she can't even rely on. She has tried to call through for hours to get this fix. She either can't get through or they didnt fix it. I think its safe to say any number from my area or skype number that has been calling without fail every Saturday on Skype for 9 years is a safe number. Especially as you log (as you log everything) that she not only picks up but calls the number and calls go on from anywhere between 30 mins to 3 hrs. So, definitely not 'nuisance call'. Please contact me so we can get this fixed immediately this has gone beyond not acceptable for too many years. P.S) She doesn't have a fancy phone or even a fancy landline phone - it's a basic landline telephone. So if anyone can pass me on to getting this sorted I'd be greatly appreciated.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unblocking a family member living abroad

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. The only BT staff are the forum moderators who do not necessarily read all the posts.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 9

@Johnny55 wrote:
My poor Mum was somehow put on some B.T phone setup where my number (I live in the U.S and often call or call usng skype) comes up with the 1571 Lady saying certain numbers have been blocked. My Mum never gets my message through this and it NEVER rings through. It takes me twenty attempts (if at all) to get somehow past this lock I571 that was wrongly put on her phone. She never blocked my number. I have great difficulty ever calling her especially in emergencies. Guess what B.T? My Wife died this year and I had a grand ol' time trying to reach her in July to inform her what happened (and try to get her over for the funeral) being she's not online and uses a telephone. Something she can't even rely on. She has tried to call through for hours to get this fix. She either can't get through or they didnt fix it. I think its safe to say any number from my area or skype number that has been calling without fail every Saturday on Skype for 9 years is a safe number. Especially as you log (as you log everything) that she not only picks up but calls the number and calls go on from anywhere between 30 mins to 3 hrs. So, definitely not 'nuisance call'. Please contact me so we can get this fixed immediately this has gone beyond not acceptable for too many years. P.S) She doesn't have a fancy phone or even a fancy landline phone - it's a basic landline telephone. So if anyone can pass me on to getting this sorted I'd be greatly appreciated.

This can be a problem with Skype, and also some international calls.
Some phone settings will block international unknown calls.

Have you set up Skype, and you own phone at your end to display caller i.d.?

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Hi @Johnny55,

1571 does not block any calls.  It is just an answering service that people can subscribe to. 

0 Ratings
Johnny55
Message 5 of 9

Correction: 1-5-7 (2). But you knew I meant that because your level says 'expert'. Thanks for your expert advice.
0 Ratings
Johnny55
Message 6 of 9

Of course. It couldn't be remotely easy. BT must feel superior to not ever have any competition to get away with such poor customer service because... there are no other real options to go with as an alternative. BT and Tesco should just split UK down the middle they own everything in a monopoly.
0 Ratings
Johnny55
Message 7 of 9

Thank you for your valid idea and response. It's just my Mum's line for certain as all other UK numbers I call work fine. And theres atleast 6 or 7 of those. We are perplexed to how she was put on this silly service for so long. One would think with all these supposed 'nuisance calls' my number is calling her lasting between 5 mins to 3 hours that in their databases that its certainly a regular number if its an answered call lasting longer than a minute 1-2 days a week. It would be safe to say these are intentional phone calls. I572 is the annoying block number that stops me getting through.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@Johnny55 I'm really sorry to see that you've been unable to contact your Mum. It sounds like your Mum has the Call Protect service on her line and the international calls are being blocked as part of the filters that have been enabled, this will block all International calls regardless of who is calling or if the number has been answered before.

The service is designed so customers have more control over who calls them and it can be managed by calling 1572 from the landline its active on or alternatively by visiting the www.bt.com/mybt website.

Instructions on how to manage the Call Protect settings can be viewed on this link, if your Mum needs to she can also call us on 150 and the customer service team can adjust the settings for her to allow International calls but this instruction can only come from the BT account holder.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 9 of 9

@Johnny55wrote:
Correction: 1-5-7 (2). But you knew I meant that because your level says 'expert'. Thanks for your expert advice.

You quoted 1571 twice in your post.  1571 is an anwering service offered by BT.  Just how was I meant to know you meant 1572 at the time I was responding.   I am neither psychic nor telepathic.

Having the benefit of the later posts I can now see you meant 1572, BT Call Protect.