cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drolma-la
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Underground cable, but no duct

In the process of refurbishing an old garden in a recently acquired home we unearthed a bare phone line cable while digging out one bed. No duct. The line has become entangled in the roots of a shrub that we want to take out.

Is it usual practice to bury phone lines in the ground without a duct? Going forward, should we leave it on the surface or try to bury it again?

Tried to talk to someone at OpenReach, but he was of the opinion that OpenReach only deals with matters on public land.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Underground cable, but no duct

I would not have expected it to be unprotected, but if its been there a long time, its difficult to say.

Is it your phone line?

You can ask Openreach to relocate it for you, using this form.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/submitFeedback.do?contactReason=remove_relocate_external_netwo...

0 Ratings
Drolma-la
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Can I find out in advance how much it's likely to cost before agreeing to pay for it? And should we decide that we don't want to pay for it just yet, would it be better to leave the cable above ground, or try to bury it again?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Openreach may be able to give you a price, but they may charge for a survey first, which could be expensive.

I would just rebury the cable, maybe put it in some plastic trunking, the type you can simply press the cover on.

At least it will give it some protection in future.

Be careful not to damage it, otherwise you will have to pay for it to be repaired.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

early days armoured cable was laid direct in the ground
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings