cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rhodog2612
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

“Upgrading” to Cat 6 from Standard BT Phone Jack?

Hi there everyone,

I’m hoping someone might be able to assist me with a rather niggling problem that’s been bugging me for the last few weeks.

In our home we currently have a standard BT phone socket which has a filter allowing for the ADSL cable for the router, and a phone jack for a telephone.

I would like to upgrade this socket to a Cat 6 socket, or get an adapter which will allow me to use Cat6 devices through the already existing BT Phone jack on the wall.

One of the various reasons I’d like to use Cat 6 is the telephone I have recently purchased to use for my small home business, which is the NEC DT700. The telephone isn’t compatible with standard BT phone jacks, and requires a Cat 6 socket to be able to use it.

We currently have BT Superfast Fibre Broadband and just the standard landline which is what I intend to use as my business number.

Could anyone possibly point me in the direction of the right converter that I can use which will allow me to convert the Cat 6 plug coming from the telephone to a standard BT phone jack, or possibly advise me how much it would cost and how easy the transition would be if I decided to get the phone jack replaced with a Cat 6 one altogether?

Also, I have heard that Cat 6 is more reliable than the standard BT Phone jack - can anyone tell me if this is actually the case?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: “Upgrading” to Cat 6 from Standard BT Phone Jack?

Try searching the Web for BT 431 plug to rj45 socket. 

Loads on there but rules say I can't post a link 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Would this work? The NEC DT700 looks to be an IP Phone
--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Indeed it is and won't  work if plugged into a standard phone line.

Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

If its an IP phone it plugs into your router, hence the rj45 plug. Any reason why you want to use this phone? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.