Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamGamee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

VOiP Handsets and Porting Landline to that

Introduction

Hello everyone, currently I have consumer / residential broadband from BT, along with BT TV, BT Sport and BT Landline along with BT 8500 Callblocking phones (one base, two satalites. The broadband I have is BT Infinity getting the full 80 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up with the BT Home Hub 5.

I done use the bandwidth much - those day's are behind me.

Question

I am wondering if on the BT Consumer services if I can replace the BT 8500 Handesets with VOiP compatible variants and port my local geographical phone number to a VOiP service, which BT may sell and can be put to the VOiP phones? Thus not needing to be reliant on the landline.

Reason For Question

I am wanting to move on with technology and embrace the future! Any suggestions would be great!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: VOiP Handsets and Porting Landline to that

I have successfully ported a couple of landlines across to a voip providers. don't forget you will still a phone number allocated to your broadband line so you may not save money.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
MadAlbert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hello - I have a similar requirement and wondered how the OP got on with this.

My worry is when porting the landline the whole connection will cease to work.  I'm hoping Devon_Dave will be able to tell me how to get a substitute number in place.

Any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

as mentioned you will still need a landline/ broadband service to deliver the voip service to your house. you will then need a voip provider to host your virtual voip phone number.
What is it you are trying to acheive by having a voip service?
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
MadAlbert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hello! Thanks for getting back to me on this.

The idea is to have the landline at the business ported to VoIP and then used at home (via a VoIP phone) using a hosted PBX from someone.  As I'm mostly at home this makes more sense and I can save a fortune on diverted calls (about £900 per year).

All the reading has led me to believe that porting the number would result in the service to the house being cancelled (i.e. line and broadband) so I wanted a way of guarantee the broadband wouldn't cease and that I wouldn't lose the landline number if the port failed for any reason.  My thinking about a number swap was to somehow stop the broadband service from being cancelled.  Perhaps I'm asking for the moon on a stick?

Between my original post and now, I've since spoken to BT Customer Options who have advised that once the porting request is 'in their system' (after about 24hrs) I should contact them again to ensure the line becomes broadband only (which is entirely possible apparently).

All ideas/suggestions appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

When I arranged a number port for a friend I obtained a form from the company I was going to use for the voip service. This was duly filled out and sent off to bt to arrange the port.
it was a simple task. you will obviously loose service on the number/line you have ported.
You will still need a number and a line for the broadband to continue working. which obviously you will still be paying for.
0 Ratings
MadAlbert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Yes, speaking to BT and various VoIP providers you must have a telephone line attached to the service.  The general advice is to install another line, port the number you're interested in and then switch the broadband to the new line after the port.  I wonder if BT would allow broadband without a telephone line one day?

When you arranged the port was the broadband also ceased or did you install another line and have BT switch the broadband to the new line therefore allowing the original to be ported?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MadAlbert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

With regard to anyone who has a BT landline and broadband service in one package/contract, I have found one way to get a BT landline ported to VoIP (but it does involve spending money).

As BT will not provide broadband without a landline attached you will need to have another landline to attach the broadband to, freeing up the original for porting.

Over numerous conversations with BT I have found that:

• you need to order another line (£130);
  • then contact them again once it's installed to request the broadband to switched to the new line (called an 'internal home move', apparently) - For this move you will need to speak to 'customer options' on 0800374566.
  • once the broadband service is moved then put in the porting request for the original number move to VoIP;
  • when the port is complete the original line will cease and you're left with just one to pay rental on.

Quite a faff but I hope this helps someone out there with a similar requirement.

0 Ratings