cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Very Elderly Parents in Law Now Without Phone for 2 Weeks

My elderly parents in law (87 and 86 and quite frail) have been without a phone now for 2 weeks.  For 6 weeks before that it was very crackly.  This was also reported but nothing was done except for someone calling and saying it needs a new cable.  The cable from their house to the box about 100 yards away needs replacing as there is water in it. 

They can't use a mobile phone, they are simply too old to cope with one, especially menus and small keys.  My mother in law is a worrier and she is not getting any sleep and is laying awake all night fretting because the she is unable to keep in touch with us or her son who lives abroad.  My dad is getting very ratty because his wife is distraught.

We are concerned because they couldn't ring anyone if they were ill. 

BT are sending a special mobile which they give to emergency service staff whose phone is faulty.  We're not yet sure if it will be suitable for the reasons given above.  It may be if it has big keys and no menus.

What we really want is for someone to come and take up the paving slabs, lay a new line and restore their phone.

They've been a BT customer for about 50 years.  Always pay their bill on time.  Isn't it reasonable to ask that they get dealt with promptly?

Any assistance they can get to make this happen will be gratefully received.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Very Elderly Parents in Law Now Without Phone for 2 Weeks

Hi wellandtrulyfedup,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum, I can look into this for you if you use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send me in your parents BT account details. You can find the contact link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil
BT Forum Mod

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I've sent you a PM - is that OK?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

I've worked out how to send an email as you requested as well!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

The temporary phone arrived, but unfortunately it is just an ordinary Nokia mobiile phone.  They simply cannot use one.  They find the keyboard too fiddly (the keys are too close together and too small) and cannot understand menus.  I have returned it immediately.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 9

Have you registered them as Priority customers?
http://www.bt.com/includingyou/assets/downloads/FreePriorityFaultRepair.pdf
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Unfortunately they wouldn't qualify as they are not disabled.  Just very elderly and frail.  My mother in law in particular feels cut off as she can keep in contact with her children.  Also is worried in case they need medical assistance or just help from us (we live nearby).  She isn't sleeping because she is fretting so much.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

do they qualify here http://www.bt.com/includingyou/redesign2012/assets/downloads/ProtectedServicesScheme.pdf

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

I have said this before but it looks to me as if the Protected Services Scheme is more about BT protecting its income and making sure the bills get paid than it is about dealing with faults in a timely manner.

The Free Priority Faults Repair is what's needed, but the requirements to qualify for that are quite stringent.

0 Ratings