cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GR22
Message 1 of 13

Virgin lost number to BT

Hi BT Community - I hope you're all well.

I've moved my services from Virgin to Virgin as part of a house move across the road, with the number to be taken across as part of the move.

A week after installation at the new address, the number had been ported, as I was able to make calls from my landline and verified my old number on the caller ID display on several mobile phone handsets.

On the 19th October, my old number stopped working and Virgin allocated a new number.

Their explanation thus far have been BT have taken back the number, and that I need to contact BT if I want the old number back.

The number has extreme sentimental value, and has been with the family for over 40 years. My mother is elderly and is her only method of telephone communication with medical services, overseas family and is going through extreme anxiety on having lost contact with them.

I realise that I am not a BT customer, and it is not fair for BT to step in to rectify a mistake that's likely to be Virgins fault, and wonderred if there's anyone who would be able to help or to check if indeed BT has reclaimed my old number and advise on the best course of action to resolve?

Kind regards

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Virgin lost number to BT

there are similar posts which explain what has happen  

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Landline-number-lost-during-switch/td-p/1976390

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
GR22
Message 3 of 13

Thanks @imjolly,

My issue is slightly different in the sense that, the port from my old property to the new one actually took place as verfied by caller ID.

So can only assume there weren't any technical obstacles (physical exchanges are the same).

What I don't understand is why the number all of a sudden would be then un-ported and re-claimed by BT, if indeed that is what had happened?

Kind regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

@GR22 

You would have to move back to BT Retail to get the number back, but that will only be possible if you are living at the same address, or one which is connected to the same exchange,  that you were, when BT first issued your number.

BT would own the number, which is why Virgin cannot re-allocate it.

You may have to have an additional phone line provided by BT.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

if you read the link there is another post with a link which is people moving home to next door so same as yours although different company the same applies

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@GR22 wrote:

Thanks @imjolly,

My issue is slightly different in the sense that, the port from my old property to the new one actually took place as verfied by caller ID.

So can only assume there weren't any technical obstacles (physical exchanges are the same).

What I don't understand is why the number all of a sudden would be then un-ported and re-claimed by BT, if indeed that is what had happened?

Kind regards

Virgin can emulate (spoof if you like) any number, but the change in address would have caused the incoming network OLO (Other Licenced Operator) path from BT to Virgin, to revert to BT, resulting in an incomplete port of the number, which is why  Virgin had to issue a new number which is owned by Virgin, and is native to their network.

There is no way this can be resolved without reverting to BT Retail, or getting an additional line installed.

Remember BT Retail own your original number, not Virgin, and would eventually re-issue it to another customer, but not for quite a while.

GR22
Message 7 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe  thanks - thats the most plausible explanation as to what's happened. Fingers crossed SamKnows data is correct as it reports the LNMED exchange for both addresses.

Although not ideal, an additional line may be my best bet - does anyone have any experience with this in the sense of verifying this is actually possible prior to committing to a completeley new line?

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

but the change in address would have caused the incoming network OLO (Other Licenced Operator) path from BT to Virgin, to revert to BT

Is this set by process, or is it technically impossible - and what would be the reason?

How likely am I to get leverage by escalating my complaint to Virgin for messing this up with CISAS for BT to give the number back to Virgin?

Kind regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Its a technical and regulatory issue, as each provider has their own number ranges allocated by Ofcom.

There is nothing else I can add to this, as you are not a BT Retail customer.

Should you decide to become a BT Retail customer, you would initially be given a new number, but a renumber request can be raised, so you get your original number back. This is never 100% guaranteed, but it usually happens.

If you need help with this,once you are a BT Retail customer , then one of the moderators can be asked to assist.

Saruman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

If you’ve not already, it may be worth speaking to Virgin Media again as they should have an escalation path into Openreach(The company that handles lines and numbers on behalf of BT-based ISPs) to try to get your number ported back to their network. 
Its not guaranteed it’s possible but it may be worth a go before ordering a 2nd line. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

@Saruman 

Virgin Media have their own network, and do not deal with Openreach.

Phone number ranges are allocated by Ofcom

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range you are interested in (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.