cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Was this a scam or a BT account error.

Today at 9.34am I received a call supposedly from Openreach on a mobile number (caller sounded asian and office sounds in the background and I was not expecting call). 

Having had numerous calls previously about my broadband being compromised, slow etc I told the caller to go away believing the call to be another scam.

On checking my mobile which is not with BT amongst previous genuine messages was a message received today at 9.32am from BT with a one time verfication code.

I have had no recent contact with BT so both of the above are out of the blue. I contacted BT who's first explanation was a wrong number. That would mean BT or Openreach have somehow managed to get two wrong numbers 2 minutes apart to the same person, what are the odds of that?

BT security say it could possibly be a scam but I am concerned as to how someone has obtained a landline number I rarely use and basically only BT would have as I have a different landline with another provider for everyday use and also have somehow managed to get my mobile number linked to that account.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Was this a scam or a BT account error.

@nannajan13 

Its almost certainly a scam, there are lots of different ones in circulation, including text ones, sent to make believe the call is genuine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Hi @nannajan13 and thanks for posting. 

@Keith_Beddoe is right. This is most likely a scam call and you're quite correct not to respond.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Yes my first instinct was that it was a scam but I do wonder how the mobile number with a different provider but which is connected to my BT account to receive text messages from BT has been linked by a scammer.

My concern is that if this is a scam the information linking my mobile to my BT landline and internet can only have come from BT in some way as I never give out this particular landline number.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

The scammers just call landline numbers at random.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

I know calls are probably made at random but it just seemed very strange to have a text to my non BT mobile with an activation code supposedly from BT two minutes before the call to my BT landline from someone claiming to be from open reach.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 12

@nannajan13 

My understanding from conversations in years gone by was that the BT call centers based in India were not BT employees but contractors. This in turn makes me wonder if the information they held was carelessley disposed of and is still out there somewhere now that the call centers have been brought back to the UK

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Something like that had crossed my mind...
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 9 of 12

@nannajan13 wrote:

Today at 9.34am I received a call supposedly from Openreach on a mobile number (caller sounded asian and office sounds in the background and I was not expecting call). 

Having had numerous calls previously about my broadband being compromised, slow etc I told the caller to go away believing the call to be another scam.

On checking my mobile which is not with BT amongst previous genuine messages was a message received today at 9.32am from BT with a one time verfication code.

I have had no recent contact with BT so both of the above are out of the blue. I contacted BT who's first explanation was a wrong number. That would mean BT or Openreach have somehow managed to get two wrong numbers 2 minutes apart to the same person, what are the odds of that?

BT security say it could possibly be a scam but I am concerned as to how someone has obtained a landline number I rarely use and basically only BT would have as I have a different landline with another provider for everyday use and also have somehow managed to get my mobile number linked to that account.

Hi @nannajan13,

Thanks for the post and welcome back to the Community.  I am sorry for the concern caused by the text you received purporting to be from BT.

BT will on occasion send a one time pin to customers but this will not be done without speaking to you first.  If anyone finds themselves in a similar position in that they receive a one time pin which looks like it comes from BT but you had not requested this, please ignore.  You can contact us and we can check your account to make sure no access has been granted to your account.

We are reviewing the one-time pin text message and email to see if we can make any improvements to avoid scammer from trying to take advantage.

Thanks for sharing your experience here, I am sure it will help others who may come across the same situation.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@SeanD 

One option is for BT to send "push" notification to mobile devices which are registered on MyBT, Google have adopted a similar method, to improve their two stage authentication process.

If an account holder then received a random SMS code, they would know it was not from BT, and could ignore it.

0 Ratings