cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

What is involved with OpenReach moving a socket?

Go to solution

I've just moved house and found an external master socket (may not be the correct term) but it's very old, with the old BT logo where the T of BT had two little dots on the side ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:British_Telecom_1981.svg ) This then connects via a cable running under the hall carpet, up the wall, across a doorframe, through the wall and down the other side to the first (and only) socket which is also very old (circa 1981). This socket is nowhere near a main socket which is useless for me as I wish to use broadband.

So, I wish to update things a bit by getting the socket moved near to a power point, preferably without the external box and then have the cabling chased into the wall. Ideally I'd also like them to run some Cat5e or Cat6 to a few rooms too but I don't know how far they go before it's not their job any more.

Many thanks,

Baz

PS I'll see if I can get a picture of the external box on Monday.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: What is involved with OpenReach moving a socket?

Go to solution
Hi. If you opt for BT infinity super fast broadband the openreach engineer should be able to sort out your requirements,.if not it could cost over 99 pounds.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Unfortunately Infinity isn't even planned for where I'm moving to. I wish it was 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Back to plan B then I am afraid.
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Yeah, I figured that was the case.

I dont mind paying for the work but do you know if they do stuff like chasing cables into walls and if they'll run cat5/6?

Baz

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
They would not Chase cables in walls, you could do the chasing and Get BT to run the cable. They would not run cat 5/6 cable.
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Cheers for that Dave. I better start hunting out a sparky.

Baz

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I doubt you actually have an external master socket as they are reletively recent products and are now obsolete anyway. If you did have one however, you could run the cabling yourself or get someone private in to do it as anything after the master socket is your own responsibility. 

0 Ratings