cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 1 of 13

When does a new landline get activated ?

Hi,

My daughter is switching provider.  I received an email from her stating "As of the 5th March this will be our new home telephone number.

Out of curiosity I rang the new number and it just rings out.  I then ran the ADSL Checker to see what the speeds would be.  Rather disturbingly the speeds are bad on ADSL, see below, whereas she is currently getting 35Mbps on exactly the same cabinet. 

Any ideas on how this can happen please ?

Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange WINWICK is served by Cabinet 4

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Left in JumperOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available---- 
Fixed Rate1 ----Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRI--      
NTEFaceplate--      
Last Test Date--
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: When does a new landline get activated ?

I don't think you can read anything into that until the phone is actually connected with the new number  if you get 35mb from current ISP then I wpould expect same from new ISP  after all it is same line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
pompey1898
Expert
Message 3 of 13

@imjollywrote:

I don't think you can read anything into that until the phone is actually connected with the new number  if you get 35mb from current ISP then I wpould expect same from new ISP  after all it is same line

Hello @imjolly  how you doing.

Not for the first time I may have not have asked the correct question.  However, you do have the background.

So perhaps the question should be.  If she has been allocated the number how come it is activated somewhere to provide a ring tone and ADSL checker response ? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

without a crystal ball I can't tell but as all number are now reallocated and not new maybe it is still connected to original source and obviously not your daughters - yet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 5 of 13

@imjollywrote:

without a crystal ball I can't tell but as all number are now reallocated and not new maybe it is still connected to original source and obviously not your daughters - yet

OK, thanks for that and I appreciate you have not got a crystal ball.  It just seemed odd to me that an allocated number was still connected to someone.  I thought it might be free.

If it is still connected it is rather worrying that the speed is so dire.  Fingers crossed it will speed up once it is transferred.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

just hope it is not an old take away number

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

When did your daughter order service from BT ?, as soon as the order progresses past the 'exchange equipment' activity , then dialtone is present at the exchange ( but not yet jumpered to your daughters line) and anyone calling the number will get 'ringtone' , this activity could be many days before the customers appointment date...in some cases if the exchange equipment was still connected ( left in jumper) to someone else's line and they had a phone plugged in , someone could answer the call, confusing both the person making the call and the person who's phone hasn't been active  for ages, suddenly 'ringing'.

If your daughter currently gets 35Mb then that is VDSL (FTTC) not ADSL as ADSL cannot deliver those speeds, so you should look at FTTC figures for the address, not ADSL

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 13

@imjollywrote:

What is a take away number please ?

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 9 of 13

@iniltouswrote:

When did your daughter order service from BT ?, as soon as the order progresses past the 'exchange equipment' activity , then dialtone is present at the exchange ( but not yet jumpered to your daughters line) and anyone calling the number will get 'ringtone' , this activity could be many days before the customers appointment date...in some cases if the exchange equipment was still connected ( left in jumper) to someone else's line and they had a phone plugged in , someone could answer the call, confusing both the person making the call and the person who's phone hasn't been active  for ages, suddenly 'ringing'.

If your daughter currently gets 35Mb then that is VDSL (FTTC) not ADSL as ADSL cannot deliver those speeds, so you should look at FTTC figures for the address, not ADSL

Hi @iniltous ,

Many thanks for the reply.

Her email to me was on Tuesday 26-2, so I guess shortly before then.  So it is not clear whether it is jumpered or not.

With respect to her current speed of 35Mbps, yes she is on VDSL.  If it is not jumpered would that result in an invalid Availability Checker result ?

As far as I know there is only the one Availabilty Checker and the result of that is in my post but here it is again in full :-

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxx on Exchange WINWICK is served by Cabinet 4

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Left in JumperOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available---- 
Fixed Rate1 ----Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRI--      
NTEFaceplate--      
Last Test Date--      

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

@pompey1898wrote:

@imjollywrote:

What is a take away number please ?

Numbers get reallocated so if your daughter ends up with one that was used by a take away she may get a few calls ordering food before people realise the takeaway has probably closed or changed its number. Worst case scenario is having to request another new number because the calls don't stop.

0 Ratings