cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Where is my master socket?

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm incredibly sorry that my first post is likely to be a very stupid question.

I've been in my house for a little over 12 months.  It's about 200 years old, and on 3 floors (lower floor used to be a cellar, middle is road level and top floor is bedrooms). Before me, it was owned by a gentleman that fitted extensions upon extensions upon extensions.  I'm stripping the obvious extensions out of my house one by one... but I have a problem.  Seriously - I had at very least one pair of satalite cables and one phone socket in every room across 3 floors.

I'm in the process of moving onto Infinity 2.  When I moved into the property, a socket in the (below ground floor) kitchen was pointed out as as the "master socket".  This socket is in the middle of the house - not on an external wall, and is against a staircase a floor below street level.  That doesn't strike me as somewhere that a master socket would be fitted.  It looks like it's attached to the kitchen unit, not the wall.

Also, it's surrounded by electrical interference.  Microwaves, fridges, freezers, overs, kettles etc.

The socket in question isn't like my previous master sockets at other homes.  It's not the split face plate where you can remove the top half.  I can't see where the phone line comes into the house.  I think I've seen where the line touches the house, but haven't been able to follow it actually INTO the house. If that is the master socket, it strikes me as being in a completely unuseable location (my currently broadband hub is off an extension cable from this socket up to a room on the middle floor which would be the most obvious place for a master socket).

How can I tell if this is ACTUALLY my master socket? Am I really going to have to call BT and beg them to send out an engineer just to point and say "yes, that's it - you silly man".  Any advice?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Where is my master socket?

Go to solution

If you carefully remove the cover, and look at the circuit board, the master socket will have three components on it.

A capacitor (possibly yellow), a resistor, and a gas discharge device.

If these are not present, then its not the master socket.

For a picture see https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/Four_Wire_Connected.jpg/180px-Four_Wire_Co...

There other pictures on the main site https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_sockets

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Where is my master socket?

Go to solution

Thank you Keith.

I'll take a look tonight.  I can't believe I'm actually hoping that I don't know where my master socket is right now.

0 Ratings