cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Which cables go where on my master socket 5C

Go to solution

Hi all,

I managed to knock the socket today and the front housing came off and my phone and internet have been down ever since. When I opened it up I saw the orange/white and white/orange cables were free. Does anyone know where these should go? 

The yellow cable in the picture is actually the white/blue and the blue is the blue/white. Any help would be great as they can't get an engineer to us for just under a week!

I do have dial tone when I plug in to the test socket I should add.

Thanks in advance all!IMG_0785.jpg

IIMG_0783 copy.jpgIMG_0784 copy.jpg

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Which cables go where on my master socket 5C

Go to solution

Ilooks like you've broken one of the clips holding the front plate on. The orange and orange/white aren't used and the socket is wired correctly.

Use an ASDL filter in the test socket and you should get your broadband back.filter.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the tip but it didn’t work. When I plugged the filter in I also lost dial tone on my phone too. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@Toddycool 

Who provides your phone and Internet connection?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Both are with BT. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@Toddycool wrote:

Both are with BT. 

Then if you cannot get it to work, you either have to find a local phone engineer who can sort the wiring out, or request an engineer visit, as it appears that that master socket has been incorrectly wired, as you should always get dial tone at the test socket. It sounds like the external Openreach network side has become disconnected, perhaps you have broken the wires?

This guide may help https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I get a dial from the test socket, as soon as I put a filter or the master socket in line I don’t get one. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@Toddycool wrote:

I get a dial from the test socket, as soon as I put a filter or the master socket in line I don’t get one. 

What about if you just plug a microfilter in, and just connect the phone to the microfilter, and not the home hub, do you still get dial tone?

Like this, but without the home hub plugged in.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

So I get a dial tone when the homehub isn’t connected. With both a filter and the mk4 faceplate. As soon as I plug the homehub in it goes. Thanks for all your help by the way. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
Sorted! You led me down the right path! It turned out that the cable to the homehub had been caught and one of the wires had broken. Swapped it out and it came good! I assumed it was the faceplate as it had been knocked but all good now. Thanks for all your help!
0 Ratings