Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

Who owns the Master Socket??

Go to solution

Basically started with a broadband issue - https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/BT-Infinity-1-Speeds-Dropped-Esp-Upstream/td-p/186235...

As we rarely use the landline it took a while to realise there was a noise on the line 4 out of 5 times you pick up. Did the quiet line test - same again, changed from a wireless phone to wired phone - same again. If you pick up the phone hub drops BB connection and reconnects....

As mentioned in that thread, the second call ended up with BT calling me on my mobile, instructing me to remove the front plate of the socket and plug into the test socket. This seemed to have resolved the issue at the time and I was happy to leave it there and investigate my phones further. No extensions wired into the Master Socket. When that call ended i picked up the landline again (still plugged into test socket) and the hub dropped connection and the line was very noisy. So i called a forth time....

Anyway during the call i was advised that as the front part of the socket (Part B below) had failed i would have to go "a shop" and buy a new socket and install it myself. Apparently this is my property and not that of BT or OpenReach.

BT.jpg

Can anyone confirm this is correct?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Who owns the Master Socket??

Go to solution
The NTE, SSFP and the NTE Faceplate are the property of the British Telecommunications plc.

Openreach maintain the line up to and including the NTE on behalf of BT, or which ever CP you’re with, be it Sky, TALKTALK, etc.

Openreach will charge the CP if there is any damage to the NTE or if the fault is beyond the NTE, this includes the SSFP or NTE Faceplate.

The NTE5 was designed as part of the Privatisation of BT so that customers had the ability to install Wiring/Equipment beyond the NTE and not have to have a BT Engineer, now an Openreach Engineer out to do it.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

what is connected to A and B?

if you removes part A and reconnected the full MK3 socket that will give you a filtered master socker and no need for individual filters on any socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
Hi Starwire. Thanks for the breakdown. Sorry don’t understand the acronyms.

Imjolly in the photo the telephone is plugged into the test socket on the wall and the hub is plugged into the top socket on the front plate.
Normally the front plate is screwed to the wall mount with the phone plugged it or the lower port.
When I get my internet connection back - stuck with an orange light - I’ll test my second handset. Then Test my handsets at the neighbours. I haven’t used any filters since I upgraded to infinity. I asked the engineer to disconnect the unused extensions in the house when it was installed.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Sorry but I am missing something

if you have phone connected to test socket as shown in your photo then hub is not connected to the phone line and therefore no internet

you need to connect a filter to test socket then phone and hub to filter and then try quiet line test. See if line quiet and also if connection drops when using phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
No it’s me that was missing something. Got it now. Will try that later/tomorrow. To clarify the photo was taken whilst i was swapping the handsets over and listening for the noise. Wasn’t expecting an internet connection when the hub was not connected. 🤣
Thanks.
PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
Ok tests completed.
Found two old ADSL filters. Plugged one in the test socket. Connected router and phone. Waited for blue light on router. Rang landline. On 2 out of three occasions we could not hear each other. We also noticed that if you called whilst the hub lights were orange the landline does not ring at all.
Once the call ended the hub lost connection.
Repeated with another handset and then all again with another filter. Same results every time. Sometimes noise was present, sometimes not. When it was, the level would vary.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

sounds like a line problem so report a phone fault to 151

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

There does seem to be something unusual going on with your master socket, in your photo , the main part of the master socket (A) has a notch in the top with a black cable entering into the socket , the bottom of the socket has a white cable leaving , if you have no extensions why are there 2 cables visible in the master socket ?, is it possible that something has been incorrectly wired into the socket (A) , any extension wiring should be connected to the consumer panel (B) , if something is incorrectly wired in the master socket (A) then disassembling (B) from (A) may not isolate what you are responsible for , from what OR are responsible for (the line itself)

Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Sounds like a HR (High Resistance) Disconnection.

Do you have ADSL or VDSL, aka FTTC?

If it’s ADSL make sure you have your Router connected when BT do a line test as it may do a CIDT (Copper Integrated Demand Test) which is designed to identify a HR DIS.