cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 11 of 22

Re: Why does BT not provide international Caller ID?

@toekneem wrote:

@woodsterry wrote:

Posted it myself and read it clearly. Meant to be rolled out by autumn but can any one say it has started anywhere. Surely it will be done on a gradual basis not every exchange on the same day. Does anyone know if it is working anywhere in BT.

Well I use a truecall call screener, up to March 11th International calls were showing in the logs as International. Since then I have had no calls marked solely International. They have been coming through with the following numbers:

0012102490540/Int

0019089130993/Int

This one strangely enough 00919089130993/Int

00144243824387/Int

( Please feel free to call any of the above tossers) 🙂

and like I have already said, nothing has come through just marked as International since early march.

With spoofing of numbers and Voip, I cannot say, Yes International Caller ID is working here.

Also remember I use a truecall unit so I get /International after the number.

All international calls are now displaying here. Well done BT or Openreach or whoever.

Even in retirement, most nuisance calls come at weekends or after 5.00 pm. (Don't give 'em too many ideas!)

This now gives more options of accepting or rejecting calls. It may be worth waitng to see if BT produces another phone model - although the 6500 seems to fit the requirement at the moment, for some calls at least!

0 Ratings
KMJ
Message 12 of 22

I guess that they hope you will dial 14713 so you have to pay for their rubbish!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 22

@KMJ wrote:

I guess that they hope you will dial 14713 so you have to pay for their rubbish!

Possibly. There's one born every minute.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
woodsterry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 22

In fairness since I posted this question it seems that Caller ID from Oz is now working at least here in York. So thank you BT.

0 Ratings
Felim_Doyle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 22

Caller Id. / Caller Display / Calling Line Identification (CLI) has been working for international calls in the Aylesbury area for a few months now although I am still having a few issues.

Some numbers or, quite possibly, numbers from certain countries, are still coming up as ‘INTERNATIONAL’ or ‘OUT OF AREA’ and others are truncated and so not being recognised as their corresponding entry in my phone's memory. However, I suspect that the truncations are occurring at the source PABX or exchange rather than at the UK end.

More puzzling is that only some of my Caller Display devices are showing international numbers even though they all work fine for local, national, mobile and non-geographic numbers so the signalling supported by each unit must be similar but may not be exactly the same.

I'll have to experiment some more and try swapping the problem Caller Display devices between my BT line and my VM line to see if there is any difference in behaviour.

Félim Doyle, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
(SMAY)
0 Ratings
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 22

Calling Line ID is dependent on some data being transmitted by the telco where the call originates. If that telco does not send the data, you will not see a calling line ID and the BT system will provide the best information it can.

Similar things happen in both the UK and elsewhere around the world when the less scrupulous or just plain awkward providers do not transmit the ID data.

It is not BT's fault . . . if the data is not sent, it cannot be displayed!

0 Ratings
Felim_Doyle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 22

Historically, this has not been the case and BT are still rolling out updates to exchanges to (more or less) correctly process International Caller Id.

My local BT exchange in Aylesbury has only had the facility for a few months whereas my local Virgin Media exchange has had it for a few years.

As you have mentioned, there are still issues with some overseas telcos not transmitting the data completely and correctly. It would appear that there are also problems with some caller display units which, for some reason, only affects international calls. Could there still be ambiguity in the signalling from BT exchanges?

My fixed line and DECT handsets all display International Caller id. now but my stand-alone caller display unit does not, although it's fine with UK fixed and mobile calls.

Félim Doyle, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
(SMAY)
0 Ratings
elcid1
Message 18 of 22

Not working in Stockport (Greater Manchester) or High Peak area.  Just back from 14 days holiday and  17 "International" calls listed on my phone!  BT should be ashamed no numbers ae displayed but then they are marketing a new phone that can block unidentified numbers and therefore make money out of these expensive items rather than displaying numbers!  Typical!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 22

@elcid1 wrote:

Not working in Stockport (Greater Manchester) or High Peak area.  Just back from 14 days holiday and  17 "International" calls listed on my phone!  BT should be ashamed no numbers ae displayed but then they are marketing a new phone that can block unidentified numbers and therefore make money out of these expensive items rather than displaying numbers!  Typical!

No need for an expensive phone or any type of call blocker. If all you want to do is not answer unidentified numbers, don't pick the phone up.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
woodsterry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 22

What a stupid reply.The original question was about BT giving Caller ID from abroad. As the question said I have familly in Australia so can not block all International calls so would be best if I could see who is calling. Not my family then I dont answer and use my call blocker to stop that number.  Simples

0 Ratings