cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhyds
Expert
Message 1 of 22

Why does BT not provide international Caller ID?

This queston of international caller ID not being displayed has popped up in a number of threads regarding international sales/spam calls, and there seems to be many different answers to it floating about the web. Now I'd rather not contact the Mods about this in order not to waste their time, but if anyone on the board can clarify the following then please feel free:

1: Why does BT not forward international Caller ID data to users' telephones?

2: If BT can't/won't, then why are there examples of other providers doing so on landline/mobile phones?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
smev
Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: Why does BT not provide international Caller ID?

BT Broadband Talk provides international caller ID, so obviously BT is capable of supplying it - they simply (for whatever reason) choose not to.

My Orange mobile shows international caller ID, too.

I find it very annoying that my BT landline doesn't provide this service. I can't simply block or ignore all calls shown as 'International', as I have friends and family who are outside the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Felim_Doyle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Take a look at my response to the thread International Caller Display which may shed some light.

Félim Doyle, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
(SMAY)
0 Ratings
woodsterry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

I have asked this question and not recieved a decent answer.

My daughter lives in Melbourne Australia and in the last couple of months has started getting my name (caller ID) when I ring her. If it works UK to AUS why not the other way.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 22

@woodsterry wrote:

I have asked this question and not recieved a decent answer.

My daughter lives in Melbourne Australia and in the last couple of months has started getting my name (caller ID) when I ring her. If it works UK to AUS why not the other way.

I think if you read the other thread fully you might have found this.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmcumeds/writev/636-i/ntc008.htm

Not sure if you think of it as you say a "decent answer" but it was given by BT to a Parliamentary committee .

I believe the BT spokesperson was Warren Buckley.

If you scroll down to "19" you will see that BT state that it is being implemented as exchanges are upgraded and they hope that it will be completed by Autumn of 2014.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 22

Just noticed another current thread where someone seems to be getting a nuisance call from Chile, so the improvement looks to be under way.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
woodsterry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Posted it myself and read it clearly. Meant to be rolled out by autumn but can any one say it has started anywhere. Surely it will be done on a gradual basis not every exchange on the same day. Does anyone know if it is working anywhere in BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 22

@pottyperson wrote:

Just noticed another current thread where someone seems to be getting a nuisance call from Chile, so the improvement looks to be under way.

I noticed that thread too.

It took some searching on Google to find any reference to the number, but it is a nuisance caller.

Some international caller id's are beginning to come through now, hence these can be blocked easily, if required.

As for other nuisance calls - it's a game of patience. The calls are all of a similar type and wording, as the originators seem to be running out of new ideas. Just keep your fingers near to the "Off" button on the handset when answering calls, using caution, of course.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 22

@woodsterry wrote:

Posted it myself and read it clearly. Meant to be rolled out by autumn but can any one say it has started anywhere. Surely it will be done on a gradual basis not every exchange on the same day. Does anyone know if it is working anywhere in BT.

Well I use a truecall call screener, up to March 11th International calls were showing in the logs as International. Since then I have had no calls marked solely International. They have been coming through with the following numbers:

0012102490540/Int

0019089130993/Int

This one strangely enough 00919089130993/Int

00144243824387/Int

( Please feel free to call any of the above tossers) 🙂

and like I have already said, nothing has come through just marked as International since early march.

With spoofing of numbers and Voip, I cannot say, Yes International Caller ID is working here.

Also remember I use a truecall unit so I get /International after the number.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
woodsterry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

As i have said, my daughter lives in Melbourne Aus. and her calls all come thro as International. Mine to her show me as the caller. Strange how Australia can doit but BT cant.

0 Ratings