cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Why is BT and OpenReach so useless?

I booked to have my internet installed on December 10th. Yes, almost 4 months ago. You may be wondering, oh my, do you live in a desert where a new street has popped up in the middle of nowhere? That would definitely require some work. The answer is no, I live in a newly built flat (Only has 1 floor btw, a bit of a challenge for BT) on an already existing street where everyone else has fibre etc.

4 months? I just wanted to make a post to say I am completely astounded how a Company who has a monopoly over every phone line in the UK can be so utterly and completely useless and pathetic. I've already made a case with the Ombudsman. I've been emailed 4 times, had 7 text messages, and 9 calls, every single one of them was just to give me an 'update' which was another delay due to Developers, or Open Reach, or Sites Team, or whatever else they copy and pasted from there Code of Excuses template.

Please someone explain to me how this can take so long? I mean really, try and explain it to me. I build computers for a living and used to work in networking for a Mobile Service so I ain't stupid. Someone insight me please. A multi billion pound company cant even sort my **bleep**ing phone line out. Virgin isn't available in my Area yet so my only option is BT. So come on, why does it take so long? Just for the record they've already laid the phone lines outside my walkway, and I assume its connected to the greenbox down the road as I've seen Open Reach there multiple times.

Meanwhile, my phone line, is hanging outside my front door. Just a purple cable hanging there. Good job idiots. 4 months no internet. I booked during the Black Friday sale for 50Mbts Fibre. What a joke. Black Friday was ages ago now. Haven't even gotten a single byte of data. Useless company.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Why is BT and OpenReach so useless?

Ha! 4 months? We ordered phone & broadband in October. Still waiting! Activation date? July 27th. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

@Gbrzrk

Was not aware that openreach used purple cables. 

Who is your Comms provider? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

Think Devon Dave could be onto something, a ‘purple’ cable , isn’t something recognisable as an a Openreach cable, so who provided this purple cable, who is the developer of the flat was it a  mainstream builder , Taylor Wimpy that sort of scale , who know to contact OR early in the process, or local jobbing builder / developer who may not, it’s quite possible the developer has provided an Ethernet cable from your property thinking that’s ‘future proof’ but practicality would be of no use whatsoever, but provided no other method of getting a cable that OR could use into the flat.
Although new build , is it on the site of an existing building, and are the new individual addresses correct on the Royal Mail website , or are you using the old building address to order service, a building  that may have been demolished along with the previous methods of service.
If still available, you probably need to speak to whoever developed or redeveloped the flat and ask what (if any) discussion did they have with a Openreach about service.
It may even be that they were preparing the flat for an Alt-net to use exclusively  ( in other words you would have had to use a company they chose ) but it never came off, leaving you with a purple cable, but no way for OR to provide service...lastly, is the general area served by overhead means ( a telegraph poles) or underground cables ,  obviously if it’s underground , and you are on the first floor , if the developer never provided the means to get to your flat from outside, then without touching the property’s of your neighbours, how can a cable be got into your property ?, and if asked , would your neighbours be happy to have a cable on their walls that benefited you, or would they likely say ‘get lost’, obviously OR cannot provide cable on a third party’s property without their permission 

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

@Gbrzrkwrote:

I booked to have my internet installed on December 10th. Yes, almost 4 months ago. You may be wondering, oh my, do you live in a desert where a new street has popped up in the middle of nowhere? That would definitely require some work. The answer is no, I live in a newly built flat (Only has 1 floor btw, a bit of a challenge for BT Openreach) on an already existing street where everyone else has fibre etc.

4 months? I just wanted to make a post to say I am completely astounded how a Company who has a monopoly over every phone line in the UK (not true, for example hull has kcom) can be so utterly and completely useless and pathetic. I've already made a case with the Ombudsman. I've been emailed 4 times, had 7 text messages, and 9 calls, every single one of them was just to give me an 'update' which was another delay due to Developers, or Open Reach, or Sites Team, or whatever else they copy and pasted from there Code of Excuses template.

Please someone explain to me how this can take so long? I mean really, try and explain it to me. I build computers for a living and used to work in networking for a Mobile Service so I ain't stupid. Someone insight me please. A multi billion pound company cant even sort my **bleep**ing phone line out. Virgin isn't available in my Area yet so my only option is BT. (not true, If copper then any isp in the uk can service your flat, if they are prepared to,if fttp then there are also alternative suppliers available)

So come on, why does it take so long? Just for the record they've already laid the phone lines outside my walkway, and I assume its connected to the greenbox down the road as I've seen Open Reach there multiple times.

How is the rest of the street serviced, ie is it underground or on poles? just because phone cables pass your property doesn't mean your flat has access to them.

for example if underground, then you would need a duct from your flat to the nearest underground dp, which would require digging up the footpath and or road depending where the nearest dp is, which would require council permits for footpath/road closures. Then there is the issue of is there spare working pairs available? if not then openreach would need to install new cabling to the nearest dp, what if other services have damaged the existing ducts, then excavation would be required to allow that to happen.

Same as if from poles, it could be that the DP is full and requires new cabling.

Whilst it is indeed annoying and frustrating waiting 4 months, it is solely down to openreach and there planning department.

Meanwhile, my phone line, is hanging outside my front door. Just a purple cable hanging there. Good job idiots. 4 months no internet. I booked during the Black Friday sale for 50Mbts Fibre. What a joke. Black Friday was ages ago now. Haven't even gotten a single byte of data. Useless company.

Whilst BT owns Openreach, they are run as two completely independent companies, and BT has no more influence getting services installed than Sky, EE, Vodafone etc and they are all in the hands of Openreach, who as you may be aware, are not customer facing.

Also read this, https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/covid-19-openreach-stop-uk-broadband-isp-and-phone-wor...

if a visit inside the property is required, then your final part of install wont be until after the 1st of june anyway as openreach are not entering properties

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Hi, perhaps it;s me.

You have moved into a new build property. Is that correct?

Are you the first occupier?

If so, when you looked at the property, decided to purchase etc did you not ask about amenities being suppkied to the property?

I'm not having a go.

Where I live are quite a few new builds, houses. The first thing that went in were the amenities.

The very basic being electric and telephone for every property.

Gas is taken close to the estate, but then stopped and only routed to a property if requested and that would be done prior to completion or for the next occupier if needed.

The fact that you state there was no telephone amenity there would indicate that it was never going to be supplied.

I'm not sticking up for them, but if that's the case, they need to get the line to the estate and ito a green box. Then from the green box to your porperty, then into your property.

Tht is a shed load of work, this is why they install when the build first starts because it stops disruption to roads/pavements etc.

You need to find out if the amenity was provided to the property at least to the front door.

But from what you're describing, there's nothing, which is very rare!

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

@iniltousI'm assuming the Purple cable is just my phone line, which isn't connected yet. My building Association is Greensquare and I wasn't told I would be restricted in any way when installing the internet, they just said it was my responsibility as I already tried contacting them asking why is it taking so long, thinking maybe its something to do with them. As for my address, it does get picked up by Royal Mail, they always deliver things I order, other companies however deliver to another address 3 numbers down or so sometimes. And just to confirm the flats have a ground floor and the first floor, that's it, however my front door is on the ground as it leads up the stairs to my place, so the cable is still outside my door on the ground.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

@steve_buckie1962 

Yes the property is completely new, and I'm first occupier. And when moving in I did ask about internet etc as I like playing my games and just being able to talk with friends who now live here and everywhere. All they said was its my responsibility to have it installed. And if I need to find out anything who do I even talk to? I've already emailed Greensquare about this taking so long but all they said again was internet is my responsibility.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

No idea what the purple cable is, but its not an Openreach cable.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 14

@licquoricewrote:

No idea what the purple cable is, but its not an Openreach cable.

Do the neighbours drive by very quickly? I'll get my coat! 

Underground ducting colour codes explained