cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
IceFoxx07
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Why would a genuine BT caller ask me to take a screwdriver to my phone socket?

Go to solution

Called earlier by BT person. Caller wanted questions answering about my home BT set-up but I refused asking for furhter ID. He then told me the amount of my last bill which was correct, however I still didn't believe he was who he said he was.  He mentioned my recent upgrade and told me that my broadband speed was only a quarter of what I should be getting and went on to ask about extensions around the home etc. When he wasn't getting any acceptable responses from me, only suspicion, he went on to ask me to take a screwdriver to my BT phone socket in the home. I'm not a BT engineer and told him that I was definitely NOT doing anything of the sort. He said he would call again tomorrow regarding this when I should be near the socket with the screwdriver in hand. My question is this:  is he a GENUINE BT employee - I did a 1471 after the call - which revealed he called  me from 0800 328 9393  which appears to be genuine - but IS IT??  Or is it somehow a scammer who is re-routing this number?  My question is basically is this a scam and should I be prepared to do as he asks?  Currently I am NOT.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
harrycrac
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Why would a genuine BT caller ask me to take a screwdriver to my phone socket?

Go to solution

Yes i also used to be told i had to unscrew the socket cover, i did it once and could hardly get back up again. Used to be one of their fault finding checks, 2nd time they asked me to do it and told them to go away and send out an engineer. Its their equipment i pay rent for, they installed it and are the experts in telcommunications, so let them come and check it out.

IceFoxx07
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: Why would a genuine BT caller ask me to take a screwdriver to my phone socket?

Go to solution

Thankyou so much for your quick response.  I didn't feel comfortable with touching, what is, after all, as you pointed out, THEIR equipment.  If he does call back then I shall do exactly as you said and tell him to send out an engineer if this is so important to them.

I'm very grateful for your reassurances.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
By removing the front plate of the main socket you will be isolating any internal wiring or equipment plugged in. This is the basic check you can do to ensure nothing in your premises is causing the problem with your line or broadband.
The reason they ask you to do it is to make sure if there is something of yours causing the problem you don't get hit with a call charge
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
IceFoxx07
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thankyou, you have helped tremendously.  At least now I know the caller was genuine so can rest my mind that I'm not being targeted or scammed. I won't be taking the screwdriver in my hand though.  I don't feel comfortable with any type of wiring.  I'm a houseperson, not a BT engineer or electrician and shall tell him this if/when he calls again. But thankyou so much for your quick response and resolution to my question.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@IceFoxx07wrote:

Thankyou so much for your quick response.  I didn't feel comfortable with touching, what is, after all, as you pointed out, THEIR equipment.  If he does call back then I shall do exactly as you said and tell him to send out an engineer if this is so important to them.

I'm very grateful for your reassurances.

Hi @IceFoxx07. If you didn’t initiate a support call it could be suspect. However if they are genuine they are trying to save you £130.  Normally behind the cover is the Test Socket which isolates your internal wiring. If the fault is at the Test Socket then no charge as it is OpenReach’s responsibly. The only way to prove this is to ask you to remove the cover. This is normal practise and part of the diagnostics. Without using the Test Socket it could be your internal wiring so you will be charged £130. 

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi.

The number is a genuine BT (switchboard) number that is a presentation number when their staff call from their internal system.

Did the call come out of the blue, or was it effectively expected?

IceFoxx07
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Completely out of the blue....though I have had a recent upgrade - but was not told there might be any follow-up call
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@IceFoxx07

Out of interest did the caller call you on your landline?  If they did, and they asked you to perform these checks there and then it would have been rather pointless if you only have one socket, and the phone they were ringing was connected to that socket... because as soon as you remove the faceplate the phone would have been disconnected! 

I wonder if BT keep a record of access to customer accounts (like a footprint) ? 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
IceFoxx07
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Hi, yes the caller did expect me to do it there and then. That's what alarmed me. I have done a Live chat with BT and they say I've not been contacted by them, but everyone says this is a genuine BT service number. I'm not doing the faceplate thing anyway even if he does ring back tonight. Thanks for your contact.
0 Ratings