cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
db_21
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Will BT own up responsibility and compensate for Engineer no show?

Hi,

In late January I noticed that I don't get a dial tone on my landline. Immediately I looked on BT forums and elsewhere for DIY advice. So finally I reported a fault with BT on Sat, 02-Feb. providing all the necessary details. I had been tracking the fault on BT's website.

I received a call on Sat, 09-Feb. advising that I follow few steps as mentioned on some official BT DIY video and if the fault still persists then I will receive a call to fix an appointment for a engineer visit. As I was away from home, I checked the video later in the week and followed the instructions in the video which didn't resolve the issue. I continued to search on community forums and other places. I even bought a new phone.

In the meantime, I received no follow-up call to check if the fault still persists or has been resolved or is an engineer's visit necessary. On top of that, on 18-Feb., I was absolutely shocked to see the fault was marked as 'Resolved', when? How? Who did? Who confirmed? Absolutely no idea. I found no link to re-open it or report this utter lie to any higher authority. So I reported the same fault again on 18-Feb. providing the reference number of the original fault.

Apparently, the same checks were done again over a course of several days with obviously same results. I don't understand as to why. What a waste of time, when infact it was practically the same fault. Then I receive a call on 23-Feb. to fix an appointment for an engineer's visit which due to scheduling is fixed for 04-Mar afternoon slot.

To my utter shock which left me livid, there is no show by the engineer. My wife had to take a day off from work for the visit by the engineer. I received a call next day from BT saying they had resourcing issue and hence couldn't fulfil the commitment. This is not acceptable. A whole working day was wasted in waiting. An annual holiday was wasted for nothing. An apology is just not enough.

Had it the otherway round that for some reason, even if emergency, would BT accept my apology and not charge me for wasting the engineers time? Oh no, their policy means I will be charged if I am not available. I wonder how only customer's never have a policy or t&c's.

An engineer visit on the following Saturday did subsequently resolve the fault.

I would like some action be taken for the miss-handling the fault report(I had to report the same twice). I would like BT to compensate for their shoddy customer service. A working day holiday was wasted not to mention over a month for seemingly simple issue.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Will BT own up responsibility and compensate for Engineer no show?

@db_21 wrote:

In the meantime, I received no follow-up call to check if the fault still persists or has been resolved or is an engineer's visit necessary.

The ball was put in your court to do the checks and get back to the call centre.

On top of that, on 18-Feb., I was absolutely shocked to see the fault was marked as 'Resolved', when? How? Who did?

Because you did not get back to them with a certain time period (uncertain what this is) The fault would have been auto closed by their system as resolved.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

It is not a BT retail (your supplier ) problem the network is supplied and maintained by Openreach for all providers including BT Retail and if OPenreach had a resources problem then there is nothing BT can do about it
0 Ratings
db_21
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

How very conveniently have you turned a blind eye on the main issue that I raised of NO SHOW BY THE ENGINEER AND THEREBY A WASTED HOLIDAY.

Who is Openreach? Isn't it a BT company? Doesn't its logo say - A BT Group business?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only, where forum members, who are only BT customers, can help each other with BT Retail products and services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT do not get any special treatment.

Who are Openreach?

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they may able to find out why Openreach missed the appointment.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
sparrow61
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

db_21

You are wasting your breath. I have been having problems for over 14 months, and 11 engineers out. I have been told by Openreach I cannot complain to them, I have to do it through my provider (which is BT), so if people are saying it's not BT's fault and openreach are saying you have to complain to the provider what are you supposed to do. If you ask me, it's - pass the buck. Neither of these two will accept responsibility.

As for compensation, I have just been offered £30.90 (two months free line rental) for a faulty line which I have had since being with them, (to date they have had over £540 out of my bank) yet they are trying to tice new customers in by offering them a 6 month package for free.

My advice to BT is.... you need to look after the customers you have before encouraging new one's for you to treat in this manner.

0 Ratings