cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lems90
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Will I be charged for repairs to the outside of my property?

I have been without internet for 5 days and BT have carried out all The tests they need to and have agreed to come out and check the exchange which they have confirmed I won't be charged for. However if the fault is found to be due to damage to anything on the outside of my property will I be charged? I have tried to find this out via the online chat and phone but the advisers are like robots and just all day the same thing. Can anybody help? Thanks 

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Will I be charged for repairs to the outside of my property?

Welcome to this user forum.

Please see Engineer visits – information and charges

0 Ratings
Lems90
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

I have seen this but don't find it particularly helpful. Does it mean that even if there is damage to outside wiring caused by general wear and tear I will be charged if it is with the boundary of my property. What does boundary even mean? I live in a property with no front garden so how do they determine the boundary of my property. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

If you had trees that you owned that had damaged the outside wiring, then then a charge is likely.

In your case, unless there is a fault in your internal wiring, you are unlikely to be charged.

I assume that you cannot get dial tone on your phone?

If you have tried your phone in the test socket, and it still does not work, and you are sure your phone is not faulty, then the fault is going to be somewhere on the external network.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13897/c/345/?s_intcid=landlinehub_video:L_testphoneli...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Lems90
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

Thank you for this. I don't have a phone in use I only use the broadband I also plugged the hub into the test socket and it still didn't work. I'm just gonna have to get the call out and hope they don't charge. Thanks again 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

You really need to try a phone in the test socket to eliminate any possible internal wiring problems and also check for a dial tone and there is no noise on the line which will ruin broadband service
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

@Lems90 wrote:

Thank you for this. I don't have a phone in use I only use the broadband I also plugged the hub into the test socket and it still didn't work. I'm just gonna have to get the call out and hope they don't charge. Thanks again 

A cheap phone (Less than £5) could save you a £130 callout fee.

Are you on normal broadband or BT Infinity?

What lights show on the home hub when its plugged into the phone line?

0 Ratings
Lems90
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

Thanks for this. I will try and get hold of a phone to test it. What does it tell me if a phone does/doesn't work in the test socket? 

0 Ratings
Lems90
Beginner
Message 10 of 21

I will get a phone and test it out. What does it tell me if a phone does/doesn't work? 

I'm just a normal BT broadband customer with a hub 4. The lights are changing from green to blue then immediately go to solid orange with the red broadband symbol flashing. The main colour is the orange with the flashing red symbol.

0 Ratings