cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: Will I be charged for repairs to the outside of my property?

@Lems90 wrote:

Thanks for this. I will try and get hold of a phone to test it. What does it tell me if a phone does/doesn't work in the test socket? 

It means the fault is on the external network.

What happens on the home hub, when you plug it in?

Are you on normal broadband or BT Infinity?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

@Lems90 wrote:

I will get a phone and test it out. What does it tell me if a phone does/doesn't work? 

I'm just a normal BT broadband customer with a hub 4. The lights are changing from green to blue then immediately go to solid orange with the red broadband symbol flashing. The main colour is the orange with the flashing red symbol.

That does sound like a line fault, but check with a phone, just in case.

Which one of these looks like your phone master socket?

Single master sockets

Filtered sockets

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Lems90
Beginner
Message 13 of 21

Number 2 of the single master socket

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

@Lems90 wrote:

Number 2 of the single master socket

Thanks.

That is the latest one, where the front clips off to reveal the test socket, which I assume is where you plugged the microfilter in.

I am guessing that this is probably an external fault, but do you have any other phone sockets that may be causing the fault?

0 Ratings
Lems90
Beginner
Message 15 of 21

Yes that's correct. 

Nope this his is the only phone socket I have. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 21

@Lems90 wrote:

Yes that's correct. 

Nope this his is the only phone socket I have. 

Thanks.

Does your phone line come directly into that master socket from outside, or are there any other connection blocks before the master socket?

0 Ratings
Lems90
Beginner
Message 17 of 21

I believe so. I live in a converted town house in what would be the loft but I looked out of the window and all I could see was a protective casing which looked like it was covering the connection between 2 wires. Other than that there isn’t any other blocks that I could see.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 21

@Lems90 wrote:
I believe so. I live in a converted town house in what would be the loft but I looked out of the window and all I could see was a protective casing which looked like it was covering the connection between 2 wires. Other than that there isn’t any other blocks that I could see.

If that is an external junction box, then it would not be your responsibility.

Why I asked that question, is that somtimes people have an internal terminal box like this BT52a

which is located on a door frame or window sill, and has corroded due to it being in a damp place.

They have been charged for the visit to replace it, as the fault has been caused by the damp.

I would arrange the visit, as it will take a couple of days anyway. Meanwhile buy or borrow a phone just to prove whether you have dial tone.

The link @john46 posted would not be viewable at the time you looked at it, as you were not connected to BT Broadband, I can see that in my webserver logs, as you were redirected to my public website.

If you would like to try it again now, you should be able to read it, as it does explain why you need a phone.

This was the link Why do I need a landline phone?

0 Ratings
Lems90
Beginner
Message 19 of 21

Thank you so much for your help. I have read the link and I have a better understanding of things now.

I have a engineer coming to test the exchange on Wednesday and then BT said they will go from there.

I will get a phone tomorrow and see what happens.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

I am pleased you found that information of interest. You may even find that when you plug the phone in, there will be a few seconds of cracking, then you may get diial tone, and your broadband may come back of you are lucky Smiley Wink

That would mean there was a corroded connection somewhere outside, and plugging the phone in, and allowing current to flow, has broken the corrosion down.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to update this thread with the result, as it will be of interest to others. Thanks.