cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Wiring Master Socket

My very old BT Master Socket needs replacing as it is smashed a bit and very yellow! However, I have no idea what socket I need to buy and also is it as simple as wiring it as the wiring currently is? There are a lot of hanging and redundant wires, is there anything that can be done with these?

IMG_2733.JPG

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wiring Master Socket

@nitronat 

Who provides your phone service?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

It is BT

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@nitronat wrote:

It is BT

That is actually the property of Openreach, so they should change it, but it will cost you.

Is this a new phone line that has just been activated, and do you have broadband as well?

If it is, then you should be able to get it upgraded as part of your installation.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

It was already there when we moved into the property two or so years ago so I have no idea when it was installed. When we went with BT we moved in we just got the kit and connected the cables we have in the house to it and hey presto it all worked. We just want to replace the socket with a newer one (for cosmetic purposes really).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

When was your phone service activated?

The latest socket is the NTE5C.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

It was about two and half years ago

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@nitronat wrote:

It was about two and half years ago

Then you won`t get it fixed for free. You will either have to sort it out yourself,  find a local telecom person, or ask BT to send someone from Openreach to replace it all (£85).

See https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

0 Ratings