Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

Wiring needed to allow broadband

Hello,

I have BT broadband and phone working fine in my new property. I believe the phone line enters above the front door and is then split into two sockets (1) in the living room and working fine and (2) upstairs.

Yesterday i tried to test the upstairs socket with a phone and it did not work. Today i took the socket off and it is still live as i received a small shock.

Can someone advise how I need to wire this socket up so i can plug a phone/router into it?

Many thanks

how external cable enters propertyhow external cable enters propertysocket boxsocket boxsocket facesocket facewires from the extension cablewires from the extension cable

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 25

Re: Wiring needed to allow broadband

Are you a bt Broadband customer?

it looks to me as at one time the property had 2 lines installed  and now only has 1, which is why the upstairs is 'dead' however will still be connected at the exchange hence the voltage.

You will need to contact a local phone enginer or your isp to see about connecting the upstairs socket which would need changing to a slave socket to your working line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Thank you. The working socket doesn't appear to be a master (image below)? It looks like an extension socket? Is there always a master?

IMG_4165.jpg

Furthermore, please see in more detail the junction whereby the external cable enters the property. Thanks 

snip.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 25

....but yes i am a broadband customer, which is working fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

That will be a master socket, prob a bt surface mount 2/4a Master, it will have a capacitor inside it.

I still think the property would of had 2 lines originally. the wiring is installed, it just needs a new master socket, a slave socket and someone with knowhow to get them both working correctly

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 25

Thanks, that's very helpful to know

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

Take the cover off the junction box where the incoming cable comes in and post a picture that shows the connections.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 25

how external wire enters property junctionhow external wire enters property junction

here is the junction box

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

A complete bodge, you have what is known as star wiring which will impact your broadband speed, both sockets are just teed off the incoming line. However, the immediate problem with the dead socket would appear to be that the orange/white wire has probably come adrift from the 'B'  terminal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

The simplest way to fix the wiring is to connect the orange and orange/white wires to terminals 2&5 in the master socket faceplate and then disconnect the orange pair in the junction box and just crimp the orange pair from the master and the orange pair to the extension together. The wiring will then go from the incoming line to the master, back up to the junction box and connect to the cable going to the extension.

The socket with the blue wires connected is the master.

0 Ratings