cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Wishing to screen calls remotely for my disabled dad

Hello community,

My dad lives in a care home since he had a major stroke almost a decade ago. He cannot operate anything much, but he can just about answer the phone by his bedside.

He is constantly harassed by predatory scammers, and we are always firefighting this by instructing his bank to cancel standing orders he somehow ends up allowing. He cannot hope to operate anything requiring hand-eye coordination.

Therefore, I would love it if I could screen his incoming calls from my mobile, then forward them on to him if they are bona fide, or roast the vermin accordingly.

I am certain the technology exists to achieve this. Is it a configurable option, please?

Kind regards 🙂

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wishing to screen calls remotely for my disabled dad

You can get "call diversion" to your mobile but I don't think you can then pass it back to the landline after you have screened it.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/calling-features-and-security/all-about-call-diversion

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

Many thanks, I might try that.

But what does it take to get this idea approved as a feature? 😁

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@TelephonicMoose 

BT Call Protect has a VIP feature which is an extra, and it allows you to setup a "whitelist" of numbers that are allowed to get through, the rest are sent to voicemail.

You can then access this online, and see if any important calls were missed.

One of the forum members @RobFletcher  already uses this feature.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 5

Hi @TelephonicMoose 

Have you considered call blocking options such as handsets or even changing provider? The best options are where you enter the numbers you want to allow through, another other call gets directed to an automated message where the caller either hangs up or has to announce themselves. Most give up but if they choose to announce themselves the system rings your dads phone and the callers announcement will be played and your dad will have the option to accept the call or reject it by pressing the relevant number on the handset. Although it doesn't stop every call the fact that your father struggles with hand/eye coordination it's likely that he would never accept an unwanted call.

I used to use this service with another provider and the advantage was that the phone numbers were managed online so remote access for you could be a benefit. The only down side is if he needs to accept withheld numbers, but you can turn this on and off remotely as well, handy if you know when they are likely to call.

0 Ratings