Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
timjwallis
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

You are not registered to use this service

We have everything with BT including a new TV box with netflix etc, which is currently at the end of the 14 day cooling off period. If the following problem isn't resolved today I will be considering cancelling the TV contract and leaving BT all together.

Our phone was working ok on the 15/4/2015. I tried to dial a local number last night (16/4/2015) to hear 'you are not registered to use this service please contact your service provider'. I dialled again with the area code, same thing. Also with national and mobile calls. We can receive incoming calls. I rang the Indian call centre who said there is no problem with the line or the account (which is in credit) it must be the handset. I am waiting for them to ring me back but having searched the problem online I think this will be to no avail. I have read about prefixing phone numbers with 1280 and this has worked when trying to ring my own mobile, so it can't be a problem with the handset, can it?

I've seen it could be a problem with Indirect Access IDA being removed from my account (no idea how this might happen). I also know that there was a major outage last week (around 6/4/2015) in our area which led to the freeview HD channels not being available. I had to reset our router which cleared the problem but were Openreach in our area doing something to the exchange boxes etc?

I need this problem sorting out A.S.A.P. please.

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: You are not registered to use this service

There is no cooling off period once your service is activated. The cooling off period is from the time you place your order, to the service being activated.

If you transferred from a CPS (Carrier Preselect Service) to BT, then you should not need the prefix unless the number porting has not been completed.

0 Ratings
timjwallis
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

We are with BT and have been for nearly 3 years now. No previous problems like this.

My TV contract has been updated because of the TV and Film bolt on becoming defunct.

As far as I can make out BT are useless when it comes to problems like this......... Hopefully they will prove me wrong.

I am still waiting to hear back from the text message I sent them earlier this morning.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi timjwallis,

Welcome and thanks for posting. If you don't get any joy with the call back drop me an email with your details and I'll look into this for you. You'll get the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

The fact that if you use 1280 it allows successful calls suggests your line is set as CPS , carrier pre select, if this has just happened it suggests a CPS provider has taken your 'line' for calls if not for line rental, but it's not properly set up otherwise calls would terminate it would just be billed by the mystery CPS provider
Have you had any approach by company's that sell this product ?, sometimes ISP's who's product includes calls can use CPS, if not, and you haven't been 'slammed' you need BT to set your line as non CPS , so BT handle your calls automatically without using 1280
This should be easy to get done, but the drones that answer the calls probably won't have a clue, hence the 'it must be your handset' nonsense they come up with, report the line faulty,don't accept an appointment, and insist they sent the problem to what was once called BT Operate, they look after the telephone exchange equipment and it's 'data',
Jay47
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Good advice; must remember this posting. Wonder if CPS might be a problem for two near neighbours of mine who fail to get through to me - we are all three using the BT 8500 "Advanced Call Guardian" phones and all other wanted calls seem to come in ok. Unit does a n effective job blocking 100 per cent unwanted ones.
0 Ratings
timjwallis
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the info. BT asked me if I had gone elsewhere for the phone line but I told them that I hadn't considering I had just updated the TV with them. I have since been told it is a problem in the area and we are not the only household experiencing the fault. It was caused by Openreach fixing another fault at our local box! I was told it is a common fault, so why blame my equipment first, when nothing has changed at our end? It is still not fixed, very frustrated. I feel an email to the CEO coming on.

0 Ratings