cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pandaman
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

another check line cord query

I have seen posts about 'check line cord' messages on phones but mine might be a bit different. I have a BT 4500 phone and nearly every evening tbe display lights up at roughly the same time between 8.15 to 8.25pm and says check line cord. The broadband light goes off on the router. This only lasts for a couple of minutes and then it all goes back to normal. Does anyone know why it does this, especially at about the same time most, but not every, evening?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: another check line cord query

Do you have anything else connected to your phone line, like a Sky box or alarm system?

0 Ratings
pandaman
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

No, 2 phones downstairs, one in kitchen is corded. Line from wall socket has seperate sockets, one for phone one for broadband which goes upstairs to router and my desktop computer. Noting else.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Is the kitchen one in use at that time, as it will cause the line cord error on the BT 4500, due to lack of voltage.

0 Ratings
pandaman
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

No not in use at time of problem. I have to say it doesn't really bother us but am curious as to why it happens.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Next time it happens, see if the kitchen phone is actually working.

When the line cord error comes up, does the BT 4500 phone still work?

0 Ratings
pandaman
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Good point, haven't tried to see if they work when message appears. Will do that next time it happens. Thanks for your input.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
leshay
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Hi

Although my phones are 8500,I get these Line Check errors frequently. I only have the phone(s) base station and BT router plugged in (and no phone is in use at the time), these error messages pop up probably once every 3 days or so, and usually late evening. They appear and the longest time I have noticed the message remaining on screen is about 45 seconds. It doesn't appear to effect my broadband at all as far as I have noticed.

I too would like to know what on earth these errors are actually saying?

Regards from Livingston, Scotland
0 Ratings
pandaman
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Phone screen lit up at bang on 8.15 last night, tried a call straight away as phone sits on a table next to me. Used a quick dial to my old place of work which is still listed, it has an automated answer. It worked fine! All a bit of a mystery so will have to just ignore it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Really odd, unless the phone line voltage is dropping for some reason. It would be unusual, as the exchange PER (power equipment racks) usually give a constant voltage.

0 Ratings