cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

automated phone call from BT???

Received a phone call early this afternoon, it was a pre-recorded message claiming it was BT and that IP address and phone line has been compromised and will be disconnected and If I stay on line they’ll put me through to resolve it, to see what happened I stayed on the line, then it just hung up on me. I tried to get the phone number called, it was a masked number, and I’ve submitted a potential scam report into BT. Do I take it as being a scam and low life scum cold calling for info?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: automated phone call from BT???

Its a scam BT will never contact you in a cold call to tell you there is a problem with anything.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

@court67ontour if you get any further calls like that just hang up BT would never call you advising you of any problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I had the same phone call today, but it was a real person, said that they had disconnected my broadband as my private IP addresses had become visible and therefore anyone could see all my user names and passwords and that if anything happened as a consequence, presumably if my bank account was accessed and money went, it would all be my fault and I would be classed as given all my access information away, so wouldn't be able to claim I was a victim. I told him he was talking a load of tosh and he got a bit annoyed with me.

He spoke English with an American accent, and English was not his first language. I missed most of what he said as the noise in the 'background' was very loud. The obvious first mistake was that he didn't even ask for me or my husband and actually his first question was 'you have your broadband with BT, right ?', why would he need to ask ? He said they had already disconnected our broadband, but I was on my laptop at the time and happily scrolling through my Facebook and everything was connected !!

I have reported it and blocked the number, but the number was really strange and I suspect isn't the real number as it had 18 digits !!?? 

I am so annoyed with scam calls, as they use fear and I simply don't have words for it, or at least none I can use here.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 6

@Pollie1wrote:

I had the same phone call today, but it was a real person, said that they had disconnected my broadband as my private IP addresses had become visible and therefore anyone could see all my user names and passwords and that if anything happened as a consequence, presumably if my bank account was accessed and money went, it would all be my fault and I would be classed as given all my access information away, so wouldn't be able to claim I was a victim. I told him he was talking a load of tosh and he got a bit annoyed with me.

He spoke English with an American accent, and English was not his first language. I missed most of what he said as the noise in the 'background' was very loud. The obvious first mistake was that he didn't even ask for me or my husband and actually his first question was 'you have your broadband with BT, right ?', why would he need to ask ? He said they had already disconnected our broadband, but I was on my laptop at the time and happily scrolling through my Facebook and everything was connected !!

I have reported it and blocked the number, but the number was really strange and I suspect isn't the real number as it had 18 digits !!?? 

I am so annoyed with scam calls, as they use fear and I simply don't have words for it, or at least none I can use here.

Hi @Pollie1 ,

You might like to think about getting a call blocking phone then ?

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Yes, we've just had issues with the phone lately and haven't even had caller display, but it's all got sorted a day or so ago, so we can now.
0 Ratings