Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonew
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

bt disconnected all phone lines

Go to solution
When I had infinity installed a yr ago the engineer moved my master n disconnected all other working sockets in my house, I didn't use them up until now,im working from home... he cut the wires in the socket... I need an upstairs socket working so I can move modem etc as wireless is unstable.. bt want to charge me £205..
Is this something I can do myself??
Why did he cut my wires in the first place??
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: bt disconnected all phone lines

Go to solution
You can install your own extension sockets but you cannot move the master socket yourself

They possibly disconnected the old extensions because they were affecting your infinity and its speed some old wiring can do this
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

Even if the extension sockets were working the openreach modem will only work in the main infinity socket, it is not possible to plug the modem in an extension socket.

There are various options to overcome this.

1. Connect wireless to the hub.

2. Move the Hub to where you want it and use powerline adaptors to connect it to the openreach modem.

3. Same as 2 but use a data extension kit or a long ethernet cable.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
jonew
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks for the replies...
So even if I get the socket upstairs working n install an iplate the modem still won't work??
I have a 20m ethernet cable I was going to run outside the house to inside but wondered if it would affect speed??
I have had problems with the hh4 wireless channels so went back to hh3, I just don't want any stability issues working wireless...
Again thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

The I Plate can only go on the main socket, only openreach can move this (£99+) Have you looked into the powerline adaptor solution?

Have you also tried connecting wireless upstairs?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@jonew wrote:

I have a 20m ethernet cable I was going to run outside the house to inside but wondered if it would affect speed??

It shouldn't.  Ethernet is designed to work happily with long cable lengths. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jonew
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Tbh ive never seen/heard of the powerline adapters there not expensive according to pc world... but how do they work exactly? ? Are they ps3/xbox compatible too??
Wireless is ok on my phone upstairs but laptop is so so hence why I'd prefer a wired connection
Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
power line provide a connection using the household mains wiring and they are compatible with all devices that use an ethernet connection

as to using an Ethernet cable any thing up to a 100 metres will have no effect on the connection speed