cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsl
Message 1 of 7

bt entry point ducting

I have a BT landline to my mobile home. I'm now building a house next to it, and want to move the landline to the house. It's a timber frame, and I need to put the entry point hole in the frame before fitting the insulation etc, ready for the engineer to put the wiring through later. My question is, does it need to be a certain type of ducting to carry the wiring, does the entry point need to be at a certain height, anything else I should be aware of? It's just for landline and broadband.

I have tried looking on the Openreach website, and tried phoning them, but I end up going round in circles with their overly complicated system.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: bt entry point ducting

does the current feed to your mobile home come from a telephone pole or is it an underground cable coming in?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
dsl
Message 3 of 7

It's underground. We put the underground ducting in ourselves. It goes right past the house (which is only a couple of metres from the mobile home) so we're hoping that when the time comes for the engineer to relocate the landline we can just dig down to the underground cable and reroute to the house. The cable to the mobile home comes up in ducting for approx 18" then just the cable continues up the caravan and goes through the side of the window. However, I feel like it should go though some lind of ducting into the house as it has to go through 6" of insulation/plasterboard etc. But the underground ducting seems like it might be too large diameter? I don't know if there's any regulations governing this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

I believe the ducting cannot come up directly into the property, this is to stop water and gas ingress. Is there an electricity/gas cupboard it could come into?. Openreach would then fit a connection box to change from external to internal cable. This is also used as a test point should you not be at home if an engineer attends for a reported fault
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

You’ll need to get the duct Openreach use. If you install any old duct they most likely won’t use it.

It needs to be the one they use in case it ever needs replacing, it’s easier for them to just get some from their usual supplier rather than go to the hassle of finding the duct you bought.
0 Ratings
Addy
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

0 Ratings
aam
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

54mm BT duct with a drawstring inside should be sufficient. You can get it from many sources and a quick search on Google should hopefully find you somewhere local.

All the info you need about laying it should be in the copper guide as mentioned above.

Here’s a link to the various Openreach developer handbooks, including the copper guide and the ducting guide:

https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/property-developers/developer-handbooks-and-extra-services.as...