Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casaschi
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

caller display after October 1st 2018

Go to solution
Unless the deadline changed from the original announcement, Ofcom ruled that providers could not charge anymore for caller display after October 1st 2018.

Any idea how BT will implement this?

For example, I currently have "BT Privacy at Home" without the caller display feature (did not like the idea of paying for it or of a free feature for a set number of months as long as in contract).
I assume the Ofcom decision means everyone gets free caller display... But do they switch it on automatically or do I have to ask for it (then I'd assume no tie to 12m contract)?
Looked at the feature order forms and nothing changed so far.
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: caller display after October 1st 2018

Go to solution

The changes state BT can no longer charge for it, so it won't be added automatically, from October you can order it free of charge.

It's worth noting that BT have offered it free in return for a 12 month commitment for the last several years, the change just means you no longer have to commit to a 12 month contract.

Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @casaschi,

You're correct, from 1 October 2018, one of our popular Calling Features, Caller Display, will become free of charge. This means that customers who take this on a 12 month contract, or are paying full price, will see the charge go to zero.

Caller Display isn't added automatically and this still needs to be ordered and a calling feature.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Hector-Glasgow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

You mention "full price". So if, like me, you pay the "No Broadband" lower line rental of £11.99 a month do you not get free caller display? *#234# gives message that the service is not available. *#001# states that no services are active on this line.

Also, why do BT make you ask for it when all other providers used by people I know (Virgin, TalkTalk and SSE) just added it automatically?

0 Ratings
sloth1
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

The same reason that they started charging for caller display in the first place. Also now that they no longer charge a separate fee for the service and have put up the line rental up to cover the difference with several million lines provided by BT every 36p per quarter ( 01/09/2019 ) they don’t have to pay to openreach for every customer that doesn't request (or doesn't know about, such as the elderly, infirm and generally vulnerable) the service is millions in pure r£a$on.

Now for how they will get away with this despite Revised general conditions general condition C6 specificity C6.2:

“Regulated Providers must provide Calling Line Identification Facilities, and enable them by default, unless they can demonstrate that it is not technically feasible or economically viable to do so.” (Emphasis mine)

BT would probably attempt to argue that it is not economically viable for r£a$on, because as demonstrated above it is technically feasible.

0 Ratings
Hector-Glasgow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks, sloth1. I also read somewhere that it was to be enabled by default. If the cost to BT is 45 pence per year (a figure quoted elsewhere) I wonder how much it costs to process requests for activation of the service. Then again if people phone up it can be recorded that they 'agreed' to a new 12 month contract even if there was no mention of it. Had similar experience years ago related to business phones at work.

Incidentally, TalkTalk have 'always' provided it for free automatically and SSE jumped the gun and activated it over a week ago.

0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I did use the 'live chat' with BT and asked about caller display, I was told that it will automatically be installed, however this has not happened with me, do I need to 'add it' on my phone , again I have gone to 'manage add ons' to be shown a screen saying there are 'technicle issues' and the order cannot be completed. Is there a code I can dial to include caller display please. I am also a bit peeved as I paid my line rental up front and no-one told me then that caller display was free ..

0 Ratings
Hector-Glasgow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Re: Is there a code I can dial to include caller display?

IF it has been activated on your line, *234# turns it on, #234# turns it off and *#234# tells you the status.

If not activated you will hear "Sorry, the service requested is not available, thank you for calling."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@icepuffinwrote:

I did use the 'live chat' with BT and asked about caller display, I was told that it will automatically be installed, however this has not happened with me, do I need to 'add it' on my phone , again I have gone to 'manage add ons' to be shown a screen saying there are 'technicle issues' and the order cannot be completed. Is there a code I can dial to include caller display please. I am also a bit peeved as I paid my line rental up front and no-one told me then that caller display was free ..

BT need to get their act together, because one of their websites is still saying it costs money :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8098/~/all-about-bt-privacy-at-home

which is in direct contravention of OFCOM ruling :-

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/rule-changes-to-protect-consumers-and-...

BT can't charge for BT Privacy as that's a TPS registration (and free).

Railwayman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Just done mine today, no need to speak to anyone, call 0800 800150 and when asked by system as to reason for call state "caller display" two or three button press options later and your all done. Takes a day or two to activate they say.