Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
pjohnpope
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

can't port my number back to BT

When I moved to my current house 8 years ago BT installed a new landline.    Some while later I moved to a Sky package, and Sky took over the number.       Then I changed my broadband provider  to Airband,  and signed up for  VOIP service from Vonage.   Vonage initially gave me a new number, but the took over my existing number from Sky.

I'm now in the process of moving to an FTTP broadband package from BT.   This includes a phone line but BT are insisting it has to be a new number and they can't take back my number from Vonage because " you can't port a VOIP number to BT"

My number was originally a BT number, so why am I being told BT can't  take it back?    Is this really a technical issue, or just an inadequacy in BT's order processing system?    If I just cancel my Vonage contract will the number be free to be grabbed by somebody else  -  endless wrong number would result - or might BT then be able to take it back?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: can't port my number back to BT

Welcome to this user forum.

I suspect its a technical issue. Your original BT number would have come from your local BT exchange which is a remote concentrator with a fixed range of numbers.

When you ported it out, that number would have become unavailable on that concentrator, and marked as such.

Sky could only have ported it to Vonage, because its simply a network routing issue and does not involve any change of hardware.

Now you are moving to FTTP, your original number will revert back to the BT Exchange, and will be quarantined, and eventually re-issued.

I think there may be technical restrictions on porting a number which exists on a remote concentrator, over to FTTP (Fibre Voice).

If you have a separate copper pair as well, then I cannot see any problem, provided you are still at the same address. Do you know whether that is the case, or is it just a fibre only connection?

Perhaps a moderator can find out?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Another quick question, who is providing your broadband at the moment, so you can use Vonage?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
pjohnpope
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

My broadband is provided by Airband from a mast 4 miles away to a dish on my wall. Airband are also my ISP. Went to Vonage VoIP so I could cancel my copper landline.

Openreach have installed FTTP, and I'm going back to BT as ISP. The FTTP terminator box has a phone line sprouting from it (I guess a built in ATA), and I get an included phone, and they would port my old number if it was not VoIP.
0 Ratings
Hector-Glasgow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Don’t give up!

I may be wrong, but I have little doubt that BT could let you keep your number if they could actually be bothered trying.

Until late in 2010, when BT stopped the Bypass service, I had 2 numbers on one line at home. This was for business purposes and was started in 1989, a year after I originally got the line. My original number became my ‘ghost’ number so people could phone me on it even if my new ‘real’ number was diverted. Once the service was withdrawn I wanted the numbers swapped over as my original number that family, friends, the bank etc had phoned me on for 22 years was otherwise going to disappear.

It took a month of phone calls, several emails and the threat of taking 7 business phone lines to an alternative provider before I could finally speak to someone who said “Yes, of course we can do that no problem!” and the next day it was done.

The ‘problem’ seemed to be that Openreach had charge of the numbers and only the more senior BT people had the right (or perhaps it was just the knowledge) to ask Openreach to enable my request.

0 Ratings